New Fighter: Spry
- Captain Jessica "Spry" Coney is an energetic, loose cannon sharpshooter from a distant planet.
- Gameplay-wise, she's what you'd expect from a platform fighting space animal... but with some new tricks as well!
- Special attacks: blaster, sticky grenade, gravity lift, reflector
- All of Spry's special moves have some unique utilities and mixup options which we'll cover in detail in future posts. Make sure you're following us on Twitter for the latest updates!
Base Roster Fighter Improvements
- Across the board, our base roster has received balance changes, animation tweaks, and sprite polish.
- On the backend, we've also included comments so you can see exactly how the actions are set up- perfect for learning how to create more advanced functionality for your own characters!
- Added option to jump out of shield and shield drop (dropping through a platform by pressing down as you come out of shield)
- Added B-reverse (pressing the opposite direction immediately after neutral B attack to turn around instantly)
- Hugely reduced load times when entering a match in Battle mode
- Hugely reduce load times when entering Test Play in the character editor
Character editor enhancements
- Added option to create a character from a template. Template characters are white to allow easily drawing your own details over the default images.
- Added option to create a new, empty character
- Added the ability to add comments and line breaks to organize frame actions (and all of our standard characters are commented to help you learn from our work!)
- Added the ability to edit custom variable descriptions to help with organization
- Added Else and Else If statements to organize code flow, used with the If statements that already existed
- Added new variables for use in frame actions: Lives, Damage, Ultra Fill, Velocity X, Velocity Y
- Added new function: Set Temporary Character Properties (used to temporarily boost speed and other stats during an animation)
- New parameter in Set Temporary Air/Ground Settings: "Allow attack out of animation" (used for attacks that should be cancellable into other attacks- like Spry's new Up B attack)
- Added new frame actions to control projectile movement: Move In X/Y Direction, Set Horizontal Movement Velocity, Set Vertical Movement Velocity, Set Movement Velocity To Zero, Set Movement Velocity In Direction, Set Movement Velocity Using Input Direction
- Added projectile settings: DestroyOnHittingPlayer, StickOnHittingPlayer
- Added size setting in projectile properties
- The list of available 3D effects was limited in projectiles and didn't match the choices in a regular character animation
- No ability to preview 3D effects in projectile frame actions
- In a rare scenario, projectile data can be copied between projectiles while in Test Play
- Added setting to avoid destroying projectile when hitting opponent
- Effect layers don't get palette swapped
- After converting a sprite to an effect layer, mouse position is incorrect when drawing