The long-awaited moment has arrived! Orphan Age finally gets an update!!!
Before listing the changes, let me tell you why did we had to wait so long for this update.
At the end of 2019 we did several long playtest series to understand how to improve the game. When we made a list of everything that needed to be done, we realized that it would take us ten years to get a proper version of the game.
Unless we expand the crew...
In 2020, we went looking for funding to bring more people to the project. It took us a while because of a pandemic but the team is almost complete and there are about ten of us working on Orphan Age. As soon as the team is assembled, we'll be happy to introduce you to the new pirates!
Anyway, when the new programmers arrived it became clear that we had to rethink the architecture of the project. On top of that the designers wanted to add more RPG components to the game. So, we set out to completely reboot Orphan Age.
Which brings us to this first update, which is only the first of many and will allow us to check the stability of the new game foundations. In practice, the game is pretty much the same as before in this patch, but there are some nice surprises in store for June. Most of the changes are made to the back end so their hard to notice. That being said, this patch is the first of a series that should completely change the game this summer.
Let's go through the patch note:
- A new build menu that is clearer than before
- New characters avatars (that change depending on the orphan’s mood)
- Eat UI (you can now choose what to eat)
- Quest book (new design)
- Refuel system for campfires
- Skills system: there's a new level up system and advanced attribute
- Jobs: every orphan now pursue dream jobs which allows them to perform better certain actions (character classes)
- Leisure system: Leisure is a new need to oversee leisure actions are now possible
- Revamped behaviour, we have a new AI for the orphans which will be upgraded along patches
- Traits have been reworked and should not cause bugs anymore
- Actions have been revamped. They have now difficulty based on orphan skills and yield...
- Critical successes and failures!
- Cooking and mixing system in order to discover and cook your favorite recipes
- Needs have also been reworked; we are trying a new way to display them in the UI that should be clearer
- Health has been reworked and replaces hygiene. You can now get hurt or sick and there's a healing system that will be unveiled next month
- Doors can now be opened and closed with a new locking system
- Social Interactions have been completely reworked, you have now new interactions between orphans (chat, cheer, play, comfort...)
- A new dialog, emoji based with a new dialog editor which will allow us to bring in the next update lots of discussion about...
- Favorites. Now every orphan has favorite food, animals (...)
- Furniture have been reworked and should not be bugged anymore. They have now durability and must be repaired from time to time
- A new character model has been integrated for the little sister
Next month will be crazy since we are going to implement some radical changes to the game!
We are super excited about this long due update. Since every system was in shambles it was impossible to update before. We thank you for your patience and hope you're as excited as us about the future of Orphan Age.
This update is only available on Windows but we'll correct this issue with our future patches!
Have fun mateys!
Team Black Flag