I'm a little bit excited about this one.
It's a small thing in some ways, but something that I think makes a big difference to the narrative story-telling side of the game.
This week I've added in some introductory commentary at the start of the fight, giving a bit of flavour if it's an interesting fixture for example between teams that are close in points.
Crucially the intro commentary will also tell you interesting stats about the fighters who've been selected - letting you know if they are league leaders in any notable stats, and referencing any current win, loss or kill streaks that are ongoing. This makes it all the more exciting if you manage to take down one of the league's best, and keeps you more informed when your own fighters are excelling.
In the near future I plan to link this to win bonuses and kill bounties for taking out the league's finest fighters. I will also add a little further flavour by way of a 'fighter focus' each match.
There is also a whole host of other minor improvements, balances and fixes this week!
Gameplay / Balancing
- Added intro commentary about team positions and figher stats and streaks
- Returned toughness to being 100% effective having reduced it’s damage reduction effect to 50% during early testing when I wanted faster battles. This might slightly increase battle length but overall I think not because it will only really come into its own in higher divisions where strength is all the greater. Meanwhile it should allow for tougher fighters to last longer without death or permanent maiming allowing for more fighter development especially in the top two divisions where death/crippling can happen arguably a bit too often to be fun.
- Slightly boosted leadership attribute potential for Leader class.
- Significantly boosted leadership ‘Form Up’ and ‘Inspire’ perks – now giving up to a 40-50% bonus to team rolls for discipline, bravery, attack and defence depending on the perk. A good leader should now be a massive asset if well trained, perked up and in a 4v4.
UI / Presentation
- Added a toggle and volume control for music in the battle screen so now you can listen to the game music as well as or instead of the usual battle sounds.
- Improved the UI for selecting teams generally so that it is now more intuitive and less buggy.
- Improved formatting for player result in cup matches to make it fit in with AI matches
- Added reference to the division of each team in the cup so that upsets can be seen more easily and interesting results stand out more
- Corrected the erroneous spelling of ‘Reymnd’ in the names database
- Corrected description text when picking Gladiator as player-fighter class to emphasise typically increased weapon skill.
- Corrected the minor grammar/presentation error of the report sometimes saying i.e. “decreases defence skill by -7”.
- Fixed a bug causing the ‘recruit’ table to crash for some people
- Fixed a bug that could come up when clicking on the same fighter multiple times while trying to select the team.
- Actually fixed the result reporting in the league screen for divisions 4 and above so the player result will now display properly.
- Fixed the really annoying bug that was causing expired/sacked slaves/citizens to stick around taking up space