A big update tonight that includes the new townspeople animations, some combat balance, and a host of other fixes and improvements!
Townspeople now perform different animations depending on what they are carrying.
- Fishermen, Miners, and Farmers deliver their goods to the storehouse carrying a couple of baskets.
- Workers have an animation to carry a stone or log rather than it appearing on their back.
- Fishermen have a fishing animation when they are at the dock.
- Farmers and Fishermen have different walk and run animations that has them carrying their tool on their shoulder.
- All townspeople have a new standard run animation. The old one didn't look good to me.
I'm super happy with how these turned out as these animations are a lot nicer and more varied than the previous set. The town feels way more alive! I'm probably going to add storehouse drop-offs to some of the other jobs as seeing the Dwarves delivering goods with the new animations just looks really cool.
Attack animations have been sped up about 20%. They looked too slow to me, almost as if the character was fighting underwater. Monster hit points have been increased about 15% for monsters spawned after the tutorial. The net effect of this is fights should take about the same amount of time since you are hitting faster, but should look and feel a lot better.
Note the gif looks a bit faster than it actually is since it's a low framerate. I'm probably going to change how and when monsters decide to attack as there are still a bit too many times where they are killed and never attack. I didn't want to make that change at the same time that I made the speed and hit-points changes though.
Improvements and Balance
- Adjusted the terrain towards the back of the island to reduce the height of the mountains. This allows me to optimize performance a bit by turning them off when you are far away. Lowering them a bit means you won't see them "pop in" when they are loaded.
- Added a check to keep the game from saving if the load didn't finish properly. This is a stop-gap just in case a load fails to ensure the game doesn't then save over it and corrupt the save. Hopefully not something that will ever be needed, but safe is better than sorry!
- Changed the prerequisite for the Grrumble quest so you can get his quest earlier.
- Increased the debuff from the "bad day", "got in a fight", "ate too much", and "drank too much" events.
- Townspeople who have resources and attempt to deliver them to the storehouse will drop those resources before returning to their home.
- Fixed a couple of bugs related to stacked items and the "Loot All" button in the treasure chest menu. It will now correctly fill in any existing stacks (up to 64) before creating a new stack if there are any remaining.
- Fixed another loot bug related to moving stacks of items around.
- Farmers will now run back to their farm after dropping off their food at the storehouse rather than walk. They should only walk when tending their crops.
- Replaced the torches in the sewers and on the Orc map as they were old and causing problems after I updated to the latest Unity version.
- Fixed a bug related to localizing the Tavernkeeper and Tinker.
- Fixed a bug relating to the "Turn Off Furniture" button for Carpenters and Stonemasons.
This was a really fun update to put together after spending so much time on controller support and localization. Next up I need to focus on something that will lower the initial memory footprint and speed up the initial load time a bit. After that I'd like to either add some more quests that I've designed and look for more opportunities to optimize the game more.
Thank you again everyone for all of your support and feedback!
-Jonathan "Calandryll" Hanna
- My Twitter: https://twitter.com/SuperSixStudios
- Discord Channel: discord.gg/soedesco