Got another round of bug fixes and balance adjustments today, thanks to Sylardean from the discussion forums and a couple of our friends from the Something Classic discord. Let's jump right into it:
- Adjusted how hit rates are calculated. The number shown in the menu should now better reflect the realities of combat.
Please continue to give us your feedback in this regard!
- Gave Escape Rate two more iterations of adjustments. Escaping no longer considers agility, only the amount of alive enemies.
This should feel significantly more consistent. Please continue to give us your feedback on this item!
- Fixed a bug where Scrolls of Power would be consumed twice (whoops)
- Fixed a bug where rescuing the Fairy locked in a chest could result in the fairy giving you the gift of Mimic (whoops)
- The Cloak of the Betrayer has rebranded itself, and is now the Crown of the Usurper
For existing Cloaks out there, they’ll continue to be Cloaks until they break. There is no change to the effect, slot, or anything else outside of the graphic and name of the item.
- Fixed a bug where certain abilities (Cleave, for example) were incorrectly categorized, ensuring they would cause damage against particularly evasive damage
- Fixed a bug where certain status effects would fall off when an enemy was damaged
- Dabby has taken business courses at his favorite college (Geaux Tigers), and has revamped his entire business model.
- Did a SFX pass, changing out a few sounds to be more intuitive
- Increased the amount of healing Potions give
- Increased the amount of health a revived party member starts with
- Increased the base statistics of all companions by a significant amount
- Universally lowered enemy HP
- Smoothed out variance in enemy level differences
- Massively upped the Bonus Stat rate of higher rarity items. For example, a Lv. 5 item used to get a 10% stat boost applied to all stats. The boost is now 40%.
- Fixed a bug where the player could get quadruple strike on non-bow items by equipping a bow and swapping
- Fixed a bug where the player could walk through certain walls in caves
- Fixed a bug where crit rate was lower than it showed in the menus
During internal tests, there was a case where the vendor update to Dabby broke a pre-release save file, but we failed to recreate this on live servers across any of our internal save files. If you experience an issue, we've created a new branch of Ephemeral Tale that you can access through right clicking the game in your library, and hitting properties.
The "previous_build" branch will contain the prior build of the game as a form of safety net should the update cause issues for you, so that you can continue to play the game.
If you experience any issues with a save, please post in our discussion forums and let us know. Additionally, we're still heavily looking for feedback on the general balance of the game. Is it too tough? Too easy? Are companions too weak, too strong? We're invested in your play experience with Ephemeral Tale-- and we can only improve it with your help, feedback, and passion.
Over the coming days there will likely continue to be more quick patches for various issues and balance changes, but once we're in a relatively stable place, we plan on patches slowing down to a weekly or bi-weekly cadence. Getting a build up and running on Steam takes a bit of time between packaging, uploading, testing, patch notes, etc. Ideally, we would like to have a weekly patch drop that would be a bit more substantial-- more changes to balance, content drops, etcetera. This would allow us more time to ensure that fixes are clean, but also spend more time developing additional content for the game. Again, thanks to Sylardean's fantastic feedback over on our forums, we have a great many ideas of things that we can tackle moving forward.
Anyway, I've talked enough for today! Please enjoy your evening, and have fun with this new version of Ephemeral Tale!
I also reserve the right to push another emergency patch in case somehow you guys find some other massive oversight that I've missed