Here’s the first update of the year!
It’s mainly a graphical one. I improved the design of some of the enemies and replaced them completely in a few cases.
The goal is to remove old sprites I had spent only a few minutes putting together (e.g. the ghost) and that didn’t feel like they belonged in an alien planet. I’m trying to steer the art direction of the game toward something more unique and specific to the game’s context.
I also reworked the background elements. Quite a few people pointed out that the enemies were blending in too much with their environment and were sometimes hard to see.
This update marks only the beginning of these design reworks. There’s a lot I want to do in that regard, but I’ll try to sprinkle it during the next weeks/months alongside gameplay and content additions.
Talking about gameplay, I noticed that very few players were using shields - so I made them better! They now protect you from all sides and not just from front attacks.
Voubi’s cloning system also seemed a bit too hard and frustrating to play. He now clones himself every 8 hits with no limits per room.
Finally, I fixed a bunch of bugs. There are still a few of them that have been reported and that aren’t fixed yet. I’m working on it and I’ll include them in the updates as soon as they’re fixed.
Special thanks to Giragnoulak (1), JoueurSansFromage (2) and pisun morza (3) for their suggestions!
- Updated backgrounds to accentuate the contrast between actual gameplay oriented objects (enemies, destructibles, items etc.) and decorative ones.
- Redesigned and replaced the sprites of a bunch of enemies and tweaked their hitboxes and behaviors.
- Danger challenges have been reordered. (1)
- Voubi now clones itself every 8 hits. (2)
- Ability icons will now turn into grayscale instead of black when you don’t have enough energy to use them. (2)
- Using a shield now protects you from all sides.
- Updated the tutorial to tell the player he can dash through enemies. (2)
- Modified the size of texture pages to try to fix a crash at the launch of the game on lower-end machines. (3)
- Fixed a bug where Voubi’s clones could hit Marinello’s gym dummy.
- Fixed the speed of the Void Gun projectile.
- Fixed a bug where the game would crash in some cases when using a shield against meatball projectiles.
- Voubi clones attacks no longer push back enemies.
- Robbie can no longer start with the “First Aid Kit” trait.
- Fixed Babouk and Voubi’s descriptions.
- Updated some enemies descriptions.
- Fixed a small display bug for the rerolling stick when the price was over 100 coins.
- The “Prepared” trait now gives out 5 Armor instead of 3.
- Updated some items descriptions to be more clear about which stat they affect. (e.g. “Enemies take 10 damage when they hit your hp” => “+10 Thorns”)