With version 0.9.14 we've made more changes to keep improving and refining Beneath.
Based on feedback we've made some changes to the Pursuer. Now the Pursuer will only appear on a smaller percentage of levels and you'll be told at the start of the level if there will be one.
You can also summon a Pursuer on any level and have it arrive early from a Pursuer Summoning Station in the shop. Why would you want to do this? Well the Pursuer can now benefit you in a couple of ways. If you are close to it when it destroys enemies you will get a small amount of health. This adds a free, but risky way of gaining health if you're desperate. The other thing that will happen when you're close to the Pursuer is it will generate a Guiding Light.
We'll continue to make changes as necessary to elements of Beneath based on feedback while making sure not to negatively impact the desired difficulty.
The Guiding Light is a mystic orb that will zoom away from you and towards the level exit. Besides appearing when close the Pursuer, you can purchase a Guiding Light from any shop if you need help finding your way out.
There is still further work to go on getting the difficulty balance right, but we've made a few changes in this update. An issue with weapon spawn rates is now fixed so that unlocked weapons spawn with the correct chance. Ranged weapons have also had their damage variability reduced. The Islands and the Aberration boss fight will be a bit more difficult now with more frequent and damaging ranged attacks in the boss fight and now falling off the Islands will kill you as was originally intended. You can also no longer jump in or out of the boss room.
Player movement on weapons
One aspect of player movement that has been poor since launch is when walking into and on top of weapons with complex geometry like chairs and stools. In this update the player collision with weapon has been changed so that you no longer walk on top of them, but you will still knock them around when walking into them. Weapons that are stuck into walls can still be stood on. This change could have some unforeseen consequences, particularly on some Workshop levels so we'll monitor that and make changes as necessary.
There are still a number of Beneath bugs we'll continue to fix as well as other improvements and additions. Besides this single player Beneath work we're continuing development of the next scenario and on the co-op for Beneath.
Getting the enemies and assets working in co-op is also a prerequisite for many of them being able to be added to the Level Editor. We'll begin adding Beneath props into the Level Editor shortly as well as all enemies that can work in Workshop levels once they're multiplayer ready.
Throughout the last several minor updates we've also been working on reducing system and GPU memory usage in a number of ways and there is still more work being done on that front. This is to allow the game to run better on lower spec machines.
Below is the changes for 0.9.14 as well as changes since the previously posted about version 0.9.0. The changelist for each update are also posted on the Steam forum and the community Discord when they are released.
- Fixed/Improved weapon spawn rates for better balancing
- Changed the Pursuer to only appear on a lower percentage of levels
- Enemies killed by the Pursuer will slightly heal the player if close
- Added the ability to purchase a Guiding Light in the Shop to guide you to the exit
- When you are near a Pursuer a Guiding Light to the exit will appear
- Added a Pursuer Summoning Station to the Shop
- Completely changed the way the player collides with weapons to reduce erratic movement
- Modified the damage of some weapons to improve balance
- Enemies will not attack player until a few seconds have passed at the start of Beneath levels
- Enemies will now not necessarily crowd the shop door
- Falling from the Islands will now kill you
- Falling in the abyss in the Construct will now hurt and can kill you
- You can no longer jump into the boss room on the Islands
- All other islands and paths go away during Islands boss fight so you can't jump out
- Added some additional death method messages
- Fixed the projectiles from the Aberration tentacles not properly damaging player
- Fixed collision on punching bag in Biker Bar basement
- Fixed timing and damage of attacks from ranged tentacles
- Fixed animation bug on The Deceiver
- Fixed a Level Editor bug causing enemy triggers to not fully trigger if connected enemies were deleted
- Fixed a Level Editor bug related to enemies spawning with ranged weapons
- Fixed a Level Editor bug with traps deactivating that don't play sounds
- Fixed some bugs related to Hydra voxel elements regenerating when a level ends
- Fixed a bug with some Whiskey Bottles causing incorrect enemy hand positioning
- Fixed a bug causing double up of footstep sounds in some cases
- Sound effects tweaks
- Fixed a Steam Cloud issue preventing some users from uploading new Workshop content
- Fixed bug causing Crystal Entity to not hit player
- Fixed bug allowing Plant Bomb to be triggered multiple times on an enemy
- Fixed possible freeze from Plant Bomb explosion
- Fixed bug causing break in sequence involving turret in the facility
- Fixed potential overrun in decal job system
- Fixed excessive memory usage from FFT spectrum read for Disco lights
- Fixed error when clearing pathfinding path during navmesh regeneration
- Additional sound effects
- Ambient audio volume reduced in Scenarios and nearby combat sounds increased
- Improved performance hitches with blood collisions in some Beneath areas
- Fixed Level Editor UI on low resolutions and narrow aspect ratios
- Fixed body chunk blood decals forming on some invisible collision
- Fixed music volume not affecting custom music in Workshop levels
- Minor memory optimisations
- Stopped the 'shortcut created' message appearing multiple times
- Fixed the incorrect Beneath upgrade total in the menu
- Fixed level exit not showing for clients in multiplayer
- Fixed bug causing enemy position bugs for client in multiplayer
- Fixed using Chaos causing the level exit to trigger from a distance
- Fixed Level Editor UI on ultrawide monitors
- Fixed missing collision on turret prop in Beneath
- Fixed not being able to take level preview screenshot in Level Editor
- Some improvements to Ruins loading time
- New sound effects added
- Prevented the Acolyte from being counted towards Pirate Cove completion
- Fixed Pursuer moving too fast after it arrives. Speed now builds up over 5 minutes
- Fixed incorrect ambient sound on Workshop levels
- Fixed incorrect character materials in the Level Editor and Workshop levels
- Fixed Workshop level characters making idle grunts
- Fixed transition area after using the Ruins shortcut being incorrect
- Fixed a bug causing freezing on some Beneath level loads
- Reduced memory usage
- Fixed incorrect transition area after using Ruins shortcut portal
- Prevented moving into some out of bounds areas in the Facility
- Prevented falling off bridges in Ruins room
- Added info text when performing a sequence in Beneath
- Fixed missing effect in Beneath facility
- Added additional text in the facility to make a sequence more clear
- Fixed incorrect image for one of the Beneath death methods
- Reduced damage from Minion staff beam
- Fixed overuse of memory in Beneath
- Added more sounds to Beneath
- Tweaked Pursuer timings
- Fixed positioning of some facility whiteboard text
- Fixed playback of built in music in the Level Editor and Workshop levels