I'm Maikel, from the design team at Blasphemous. I just wanted to take this chance to thank you all out there, on behalf of the whole team at The Game Kitchen.
When we started this project, back in 2017, we couldn't imagine this getting so much attention. Not even close! The amount of love and support that Blasphemous has got after we released it 3 months ago it's astounding. We owe you a lot, and that's why we wanted to share some things with you.
Last week, Blasphemous got not one, but two awards at the Fun & Serious game festival! We were nominated alongside really awesome games, so it's an incredible honor to bring these awards home.
But more importantly, and as you might already imagine after reading the post title, we've been working really hard in some juicy tweaks and changes. The last patches were focused on fixing stuff that was broken and squashing bugs. But this one, the biggest update in Blasphemous so far, it's focused on YOUR feedback.
We've been listening and reading your comments on the steam forums, reddit, twitter, your emails... You name it. We've had little time to reply to most of you (as there were a lot!), but we've been busy working! With this patch, we tried to make Blasphemous feel better and more accessible than ever, refining and polishing the experience as much as possible without actually changing the core game.
Without further ado, I'll leave you with the patch notes. Stay until the end!
The Game Kitchen.
These improvements were made thanks to feedback from you, our players. Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their experiences on platforming in Blasphemous, we hope you enjoy these changes.
- Collision detection during jumps tweaked to improve jump feeling.
- Jumping in mid-air is now possible for a few frames after running off a platform (Coyote time / ghost jump).
- Grab cancel action added.
- The Penitent One is now be able to jump off walls, ledges and ladders by pressing the Grab cancel action.
- The Penitent One still can hold down to fall while hanging from a ledge, but the holding time has been adjusted.
- The Penitent One will only climb a ledge if the players press Up, to prevent accidental climbing.
- Damage while wall climbing now doesn't prevent further wall climbing. Before it was only available after touching the ground again.
New controls screen
The new controller screen was rebuilt from the ground up, including a much wider range of controller compatibility. Who’ll be the first person to achieve true penance using a steering wheel setup?
On a more serious note we hope these widened options provide more accessibility for those with different controller wants and needs.
- Extended controller support. Even playing with a dance mat is possible!
- Mouse buttons and swipe gestures added.
- Improved control screen UI.
- Every action is now rebindable.
- Button tooltips are shown correctly after rebinding actions in every UI screen.
Moving platforms rework
Following some comments we’d seen here on the forums and social media, the team made some changes to reduce player downtime in areas that include moving platforms.
This should maintain a challenge for players, without the slow down in pace.
- Fixed a collision issue that made some players go through them on certain jumps.
- Added and reworked some annoying moving platforms to shorten wait times and improve level navigation.
- Iterated a few areas featuring moving platforms, to improve platforming and navigation, and make wait times shorter.
- Added full Japanese language support.
- Fixed several typos in different languages.
Player fixes and changes
- Fixed a bug that caused TPO to pass through walls in certain jump conditions.
- Removed ladder landing screen shake effect
- Fixed a bug that caused falling attacks to continually loop in rare situations.
- Improved Weight of Sin timing.
- Improved navigation in shortcut between Sleeping Canvases and Mercy Dreams (The infamous room full of spikes!)
- Slight geometry tweaks in Wasteland of the Buried Churches and Archcathedral Rooftops.
Guilt Fragment placement fixes
- All spike traps have been corrected to prevent a strange behaviour forcing guilt fragments to appear in Albero.
- Fixed a bug that caused Guilt Fragments to get stuck in between scenes under the elevator at Library of Negated Words sometimes.
- Fixed a bug that caused Guilt Fragment appearing right in front of the burning tree on Perpetva's fight to be impossible to retrieve.
- Damage effects and other Vfx were not being shown on PC builds.
- Reflections were not working in scenes like the Halite Lake and the dark room after Melquiades.
- Fixed level sprites.
- Added decorative sprites of wax below red and blue candles on scenes.
- Socorro's animation loops fixed.
- When using a controller to exit the teleport menu, TPO didn't make an exit animation and remained invisible.
- Fix snow falling inside screen space (Mountains).
- Fixed door sprites clipping through the penitent one in Wasteland of Buried Churches.
- Fixed an issue with the Retribution animation
- In certain locations, the head of The Penitent One could be seen sticking out when falling down a pit.
- The Great Elevator in Archcathedral Rooftops could cause a softlock
- Interacting with Our Lady of the Six Sorrows a second time could cause a softlock
- Dying when falling through a pit with the inventory open could cause a softlock
- Mea Culpa level could be increased several times at the same shrine.
- The Penitent One could be hit while resting on a certain Prie Dieu.
- Fixed transitions to a few screens in which enemies will start attacking The Penitent One if the loading time took too long.
- Players could bypass abyss deathtraps when falling into them using the Weight of Sin skill.
- Removed an extra blue candle on Engracias' room that shouldn't be there.
- Fixed transitions where TPO would be facing the opposite direction they came from.
- Hanging chains of giant clapper in Jondo sometimes disappeared when they shouldn't
- Fixed Penitent One falling off the world when sliding through the door of the Bridge of the Three Calvaries.
- Duplicated Golden Thimble on gemino quest.
- Shroud of Dreamt Sin could be lost on force quit.
- Altasgracias' Egg could be lost on force quit.
- Escribar cutscene 3 doesn't show properly sometimes.
- Viridiana can be exploited if TPO leaves the boss room before she vanishes.
- Offering the 3rd mask to the Elevator and force quitting won't let the player access the fourth level.
- Fixed an issue that caused the last conversation with Our Lady of Our Six Sorrows to never be played.
- Chalice of Inverted Verses couldn't be refilled in certain conditions.
- Chalice of Inverted Verses empties itself after the pontiff cutscenes.
- Our Lady of the Charred Visage's laser could still fire and doesn't disappear even after she's dead, and still deals damage.
- Players could skip fighting Quirce using air impulse to reach the other side of the gap that led to his battle.
- Fixed Warden of the Silent Sorrow collider.
- The Penitent One will appear and perform the execution animation from both sides of Crisanta.
- Monfràgora errors fixed.
- Tizona flickering fixed.
- Amargura collider issues fixed. Improved hitbox.
- Guardainfante shockwave animation fix.
- Fixed Wraith enemy and projectile colliders.
- Fixed flasks refilling after defeating Ten Piedad and Charred Visage bosses due to an outdated saving state script.
- Mouse is now hidden by default.
- Map icon location fixes.
- Backer credits updated and fixed.
- Credits updated.
Just in case any console players are also here, this patch will be coming to all other platforms in the new year.
Giving you Penitent Ones out there many reasons to revisit Cvstodia in 2020!
Your journey of penance is far from over...
We’re excited to share that the first free DLC for Blasphemous will be coming in early 2020…
More details coming very soon!