I've done some more work on dedicated servers in this update. Deploying the servers now happens fully automatic ( using Steamworks ) and the server exist as an APP on steam ( hidden, requires a key ). This makes it easy to keep a set of servers updated and live any time I make a new build. Hopefully, we can do some proper tests and figure out how many instances we can run on a single machine, etc.
This version brings a newly updated match-flow. When a server starts it will enter the 'waiting for players' state. This can last up to 5 minutes. If no one has joined in those 5 minutes, the server changes the map. If someone DOES join, the state switches to 'warmup' which lasts 60 seconds. If at any point in the match, there aren't enough players, the server switches back to the 'waiting for players' state and repeats.
The new map is called FFA_Lavabowl, at the moment as the name implies, only available in the FFA mode. This might change in the future. This map is literally a bowl filled with lava and is a 3 layered king of the hill type shape. I'll be experimenting with a proper king-of-the-hill game mode on this map soon. For now, enjoy it in FFA!
In previous versions, we had the possibility of a match or round ending in a tie. This caused an issue where technically, a match could go on forever. I changed this to not be the case anymore. We now have tie-breaks in the form of overtime. When the timer of the round hits 0, overtime kicks in. During over-time a battle-royale like a circle will appear and shrink, forcing the remaining players to fight it out and forcing a winner.
- Larger replication range enabled for tanks ( previously 30000 now 50000 )
- Fixed a few edge cases with replicating the movement of tanks.
- Added logging in case there's old data being sent to the client from the server in regards to transforms.
- Reworked how projectiles work ( needs testing ).
- Grenades can be affected by push and jump pad etc.
- Added 'B' to change/select loadout. This is also bindable
- Changed 'sniper' to 'rifle'.
- Added new map FFA_LavaBowl.
- Stealth ability duration increased from 2.5s to 3.0s.
- Reworked how loadout selection is done. When the loadout UI is shown( either press B or go through options ) you then can only do 1 action: select a loadout.
- Once you select one, there you can confirm or edit.
- Added a small notification when certain things happen. Atm only used for 'new loadout selected' message and loadout modified.
- Changed resolution settings include 144 instead of 120, and 240+, etc.
- Suicide will reduce the score by 1.
- Changing teams while alive counts as suicide.
- Suicide will reset killstreak.
- Loadout information gets sent to the server in a smarter and more efficient way.
- Added 'Garage' option when in the main menu.
- When changing loadout in the main menu, you will instantly respawn with the new loadout.
- Searching for the session will return both dedicated and player hosted sessions now instead of one or the other.
- Fixed logic for who wins and loses in FFA. If 2 players have the same score at the end, they draw, the rest 'loses' Will do this differently in the future. ( will count other stats ).
- Optimized camera replication, won't send your own data back to you to save on bandwidth.
- Reworked how stealth works internally, might have some quirks, please report if you find something odd.
- When you are stealthed, and stand on a stealth pick-up, you won't pick it up instantly. But once your stealth is gone, you WILL automatically pick up the pick-up stealth. Previously you had to drive over it again.
- Projectiles fired from REALLY up close could sometimes 'miss' because they did not register their location yet. Fixed, so fewer cases of odd misses up close now.
- Added 'entering map' state. After map-load, every game mode can have a mode-specific UI. For example, Select team, or select load-out, or simply confirm, etc.
- The rifle weapon now has 5 shots before requiring a reload. This brings it more in-line with other guns ( not being able to spam, and having to think/time shots). Plus now we don't have to make guns too weak, we can tweak them with ammo/reload, etc.
- Added UI widget to show the user that they will be respawning soon.
- Changed the look of 'ROUND LOSS' UI.
- Changed the look of team-only chat.
- Changed TEAM mode to not have any rounds that can tie.
- Changed TEAM mode to be FIRST TO 6. No more ties, someone wins.
- If the round timer hits 0, the round goes in OVERTIME, which spawns a shrinking circle ala Battle Royales, forcing the remaining players to fight it out, and thus eventually someone will win. No more ties. This makes the mode more robust and gives a better execution of duration. This is important for this game because folks might want to play just for 2-3 matches and leave.
- The match cycle is changed to have a slightly better flow. Every match starts in the 'waiting for players' mode, this can take up to 5 minutes. If players have joined, it instantly switches to 'warmup'. This lasts 60 seconds only. If at any point in the match, the players leave, the server goes into 'waiting for players' ( which takes up to 5 minutes). If no one joins, the server changes the map and the same cycle starts.