It is finally time. That’s right, we finally completed something some of you folks have been asking for for absolute ages. That’s right, a Muzzle-Loading Flintlock, in all of its messy glory.
This has been an absolute treat to implement, as it’s been far too long since I’ve had the time to just focus on a single simulation challenge, and just following it where it took me, landing at each interaction and fork-point in the state space and asking what sorts of interesting results could be added, and what other objects it could interface with.
Some of you might be asking ‘what about a rifle?’ Well I am restricting this type to a single firearm to begin with, so it’s easier to work out all of the (inevitable) bugs with this large of a state-space. Once I’m confident that it’s rock solid, I will add a few more to the category (including a few absolutely wacky ones I’ve had my eye on for a while). I’d also love to get some related muzzle-loaders in, such as a Wheel-lock. Thankfully, the systems for this Flintlock have been written extensibly enough to support such things.
Also I’d like to put a HUGE shout-out thank you to Patrick Sutton and Joe Kataldo for doing the meticulous foley work for this. The Flintlock also has the most unique sounds for any firearm in the game (by far), and I had to keep adding more and more for it as new sub-states arose in the design. The nuance present in it truly was a team effort.
Anywho, I hope y’all enjoy the result of our efforts. Try not to blow too many of them up!
Have a wonderful weekend!
All Of Us At RUST LTD.
Full Changelog - Update 81
- Added New Firearm: Flintlock Heavy Pistol 18th Century (.69 Caliber ball)
- Added New Utility Object: Black Powder Flask
- Added New Cartridge: .69 Caliber Ball Paper Cartridge
- Added New Cartridge: .69 Caliber Ball Projectile
- [Cappocollosseum] Added New Gronch Job: Turret Testing
- Lessened magnitude of white Player hit impact effect.
- [Cappocollosseum] Fixed issue with score being calculated wrong for some Cappocolloseum matches