Hey all, Swarmlake Chapter 2 is out featuring a new engine with improved visuals, audio, gameplay, performance and much more:
- Added new data-oriented engine to maximize performance
- Added partial projectile ground hit reflection (community suggestion!)
- Added audio-visual effect when reaching final achievement score and multiples of it
- Added visual bomb pulse effect
- Added new shoot sound
- Added new achievement icons
- Improved jump arc control by decreasing fall speed by 25% (same as before Update 18)
- Improved jump height control by decreasing grounded jump height by 20%
- Improved ability to stop bombs by increasing bomb projectile hit radius by 33%
- Improved death consistency and feedback
- Improved bomb min and max height bounce behavior
- Improved bomb outline visibility
- Improved visual vibrancy
- Improved CPU performance by ~33%
- Improved game startup speed
- Improved audio mix clarity
- Improved UI visibility
- Fixed 6,000+ score-based shoot rate increase not activating
- Fixed last shard and gun flicker not activating
- Fixed projectiles hitting spawning enemies during animation after first animation frame
- Fixed projectiles now hitting closest enemy when hitting multiple enemies in the same frame
- Fixed player now dying from closest enemy when hitting multiple enemies in the same frame
- Fixed jumping off of bombs
- Fixed removing invisible bombs on bomb spawn limit to be field of view independent
- Fixed death enemy highlight to be visible through ground
- Fixed key rebind new key detection issue
- Fixed key rebind UI button focus loss
- Fixed some font symbols
- Fixed some user settings by resetting all to default
Swarmlake Episode 2 started by completely rewriting the custom game engine to use a data-oriented design in order to maximize the performance. This made me touch, rethink and reimplement almost all gameplay logic again.
The decreased falling speed (now same as before Update 18) will take a little to get used to but will result in more control when jumping. Overall I am very confident in the results and hope that you will enjoy this extremely polished experience.
Swarmlake is the only game where you can carve through billions enemies with your gun, soar through the sky by jumping off of enemies mid-air, collide with bombs to take out huge junks of the swarm and collect massive amounts of dropped shards to beat your last highscore. Featuring an original electronic soundtrack being visualized on the infinitely expanding and pulsating lake, Swarmlake is only made possible with the new custom-made engine.
For ~two years even after initial release lots of community-requested features and improvements were added with continued full-time development to increase the overall value and quality of Swarmlake by including better gameplay, balance, visuals, effects, lighting, animations, audio, consistency, feedback, performance, font, HUD, accessibility, achievements, persistent in-game global/friends leaderboard, trading cards, sub-frame input, full controller support, rebindable keybindings and so much more. Therefore the new purchase price was adapted to reflect the current state of Swarmlake.
Thanks to everyone for your continued support since your feedback was essential for shaping up Swarmlake! If you enjoyed the game please consider leaving a brief review if you can as this really helps a lot.