Version 0.5.3.a is now released! This update mostly contains balance adjustments, meter system overhaul, general optimizations, and some other general gameplay changes.
Full detail notes can be found here
Bunch of optimizations done, game should perform better and feel snappier.
Meter - System Overhaul
Refactored how meter that gets awarded when landing attacks gets defined and used in the engine, so that it's more consistent and easier to balance.
Previously every attack (and hit of an attack) had a specific value for how much meter was given to the attacker and defender when it landed. This made it pretty hard to adjust these values because it required changing a lot of individual values (takes time and prone to error).
Now every attack can reference a shared value for this. For instance all medium attacks can reference the same meter values, which allows us to balance all medium attacks' meter gain from a single source rather than many. Attacks can also define custom data if they need it.
With this in mind, the meter gain for all characters when landing attacks have been re-balanced.
Proximity Boxes - Projectiles
Proximity boxes for projectiles now starts from the center, rather than a few units in front (like character attacks). This is only really useful for the new proximity boxes on Maxx's bottles (to avoid the situation where someone can walk in and out of proximity by holding backwards if the bottle is right on top of them).
Adjusted movement so that it averages over more frames, but moves a bit faster, should feel a bit more aggressive.
Slightly less hit stop for medium and heavy attacks, should feel a little faster.
Adjusted the movement curve of the camera so that it's a bit smoother but faster, should feel snappier.
Push Back - Trades
When trades occur, the amount of push back applied to each attacker is reduced from 100% to 75% of the distance. ie if two moves each with 5.0 push back trade with each other, both attackers will be pushed back 3.75 instead.
Fixed an issue when calculating the character direction (left / right) when both characters are directly on top of each other (and not in the corner).
Previously if both character's X position was the exact same (one player is directly above the other), it would make a decision based on who was higher up and on which side of the stage. This was pretty rare outside of the corner (which has separate logic) but it allowed for inconsistent situations depending on where it happened and which direction the characters were going.
Now when this situation happens, it will just use whatever the previous frame's direction was. ie if one character is facing right -> both characters have same position -> character continues to face right (where previously it might have switched them to facing left).
Thanks to discord user ElToonRak for finding a consistent Dog setup that showed this!
- Optimized grenade projectile model
- Optimized knife electricity fx model
- Optimized super ball fx model
- Health: Decreased from 1075 -> 1050
- Jumps: Fixed issue where she'd spend an extra frame in the air if she hit a button
- FlyingGoddess: Slightly decreased damage, extended hit box bottom
- BreakYourBones: Slightly decreased damage
- Dash Backward: Decreased distance
- St.LP: Decreased push back
- Cr.LP: Decreased push back
- St.HK: No longer forces stand on block
- PinWheel->Dive: Increased block stun
- EX.Run->Slide: Less recovery
- EX.Run->Leap: Increased block stun, decreased juggle remove value
- CrescentKicks: Extended initial hit box
- CrescentSplits: Adjusted all normal versions on block (light safer, medium more unsafe, heavy now unsafe), slightly adjusted all normal versions on hit, ex version increased knockdown frames
- Health: Decreased from 1050 to 1025
- Jumps: Adjusted arc (doesn't jump as high)
- Cr.LP: Extended hit box
- G.A.P: light version decreased horizontal distance, EX version no longer grab invulnerable
- Buff-U(Projectile): Now has a proximity box
- Super.LastCall(Normal): Increased knockdown frames, increased wall launch speed, increased corner push back
As always, you can read the detailed patch notes here