KeeperRL Alpha 28 is out! This update focuses on modding support, and also features new content any many quality-of-life improvements.
At this point most of KeeperRL's content has been exported to data files and can be modded. Mods can be shared at keeperrl.com and downloaded directly from the game! A few veteran players have already published a mod with massive amounts of new content.
I'd like to thank everyone involved in crash testing this patch, sending bug reports and suggestions. Your help was invaluable!
Scroll down for a detailed change log.
If you would like to continue your saved game from Alpha 27, you can opt-in into the "Alpha 27 save compatibility" BETA branch under the game's properties in Library. Make sure to opt-out of the branch to go back to Alpha 28 when you're done!
Gameplay* Merged "campaign", "free play" and "endless" modes. Endless enemy waves can be set to attack after winning the game or from the start.
- Improved the spell system, with multiple spell schools and many added spells.
- Demon rituals are now performed by regular minions in order to attract demons and to heal them.
- Improved AI for spell casting and potion throwing.
- Spirit/ghost creatures have a separate health type, called materialization, with dedicated health potions and can be healed using demon rituals.
- Healer team member AI does a better job at not engaging in fights.
- Added rare spawning of the village guardian aka "witchman".
Content* Black dragon enemy.
- Gates/double doors.
- Fire trap.
- Orc healer minion
- Orc shaman renamed to orc mage.
- Battle mage and fire mage minions for the White Keeper.
- Fighter abilities: "swap positions" and "shove".
- Reworked "summon spirit" spell of the shaman and unicorns to summon ghosts of actual creatures.
- Healing and Heal other spells have been merged into a single spell with two upgrades.
- Group healing spell.
- Cure blindness spell.
- Magic missile spell upgrades.
- Teleport spell.
- Pacify spell.
- Magic cancellation spell and effect, preventing another creature from casting spells.
- Pull spell.
- Firewall spell.
- Magical damage ring, which transforms melee damage of a creature into magical damage during a fight.
Modding* Added a new mod menu that allows downloading mods from the server.
- Added support for adding new sprites in mods.
- Campaign and endless enemies are now moddable.
- All furniture, traps and other constructions are moddable.
- Better support for creative or "cheating" modes: placing minions, and items, and immediate digging in the building menu.
- Improved reporting errors in mods.
- Retired dungeons contain information on which mods are required to load them.
- Some sprites, such as all of the keeper sprites, support color variants without having to modify the sprite itself.
- Added support for "magical floors" that cause a "LastingEffect" on the creature standing on them.
UI* Added a search box and other improvements to the list of retired dungeons.
- Improved player name entry text field.
Fixes* Multiple optimizations for larger dungeons.
- Online highscores are not downloaded anymore at the start of the game to improve startup time.
- Made White Keeper animals visible in minions tab and obey quarters.
- Fixed splitting team if undead team members can't travel due to daylight.
- Fixed a bug that caused traveling team members to be transferred back to base randomly.
- Fixed base retirement crashes.
- Fixed showing gender names in character menu.
- Fixed issue with increasing adventurer training levels beyond limits.
- Fixed gas emitting in poison gas trap.
Changed files in this update