At last, the Beta release of Trapped is here. There’s much more to come, but this is the new vision of the game that we’ve been working toward for so long.
- Duplicate player character objects - On respawn, players’ BP_PlayerCharacter objects were being disconnected from the player controllers, but not destroyed. Because the respawn code creates a fresh character for every respawn, this meant there were sometimes several copies of various player characters floating around in the game. While they weren’t connected to a controller they were still being processed by the main game loop which cause a huge range of bugs.
- Sudden drops in both in-game and network performance - This was happening because all of the dead character objects were still being replicated. With enough respawns, this would eventually cause the network code to be overwhelmed leading to frame rate drops and even disconnects.
- Player inventory bugs - This could manifest as missing items, items that acted as something other than what was shown in the inventory screen, disappearing items (or sometimes magically reappearing items).
- Respawn bugs - Players would sometimes spawn in the wrong location or get stuck in a loop continuously respawning. Sometimes the host player would move suddenly during another player’s respawn sequence.
- Degraded performance - The buildup of extra characters caused a large (and constantly growing) drain on CPU resources.
- Enemy AI - Military AI would sometimes lose awareness of players, causing them to go into search mode, even when a player was right in front of them. This should now be fixed.
- The Prison - The capture point at the Prison, on the western side of the map now functions as intended.
- Lighting and atmospherics - Light shafts no longer penetrate distant mountains. A special fog layer has been added to complement the nanosludge. This fog becomes denser as time goes on. Sunlight is now set the correct color temperature.
- Environment - Literally hundreds of small issues in the map have been corrected. These range from collision bugs to object positioning and terrain mesh cleanup.
- Enemy damage - Sometimes NPCs would fail to do full damage to their targets. This has been fixed and NPCs are MUCH more lethal now.
- Enemy accuracy - Enemy accuracy was being incorrectly computed. It’s now correct and ranged NPCs are much more dangerous now. Crouching and running will help considerably.
- Air drops - Some capture point objectives would fail to generate an air drop. This should now work correctly.
- Turrets and Robots - In PvP, turrets and robots would sometimes attack their owners. They should now correctly recognize their human overlords.
- NPC goo damage - Goo was not correctly damaging NPCs. This should now work correctly.
- NPC ranges - NPC ranges have been shortened for some classes. Turrets are still the longest range weapons in the game.
- MP7A1 audio - This weapon has a new sound and now correctly attenuates with distance.
- PvP damage - Players were not correctly damaging each other in PvP. This is now fixed.
- Sound settings - Many sounds in the game were being ignored by the sound settings. This is now fixed.
- Supply Crates - A large number of new lootable supply crates have been added to the map.
- Enemy spawns - Several new enemy spawns have been added to the map to improve overall game flow.
- Audio - Many fixes, tweaks and additions have been made to the soundscape.
- Nanosludge - All bodies of water have now been replaced with a rising tide of toxic sludge that applies a DOT on contact. The damage caused by the debuff is modest and it’s possible to wade through the sludge for a few seconds. This will become increasingly important later in the game since the rising sludge will eventually cause parts of the map to be unreachable on dry ground. Monsters are immune to the sludge. Players, animals and military are not.
- New control points - There are two new control points on the map, the Mine in the far southeast and the Motel in the far north. Two new player objectives have been added as well.
- New ambient audio - Improved music and ambient audio have been added to many parts of the game.
Join our Discord as well and stay up to date.