We’re back! This is the first of what we hope are regular weekly updates now that we’re through the bulk of the “make Rec Room work on Quest” work we had to do in the first half of this year. We really appreciate your patience while we did that, and we're super stoked to get back into the swing of things =]
OK here’s what's new in this update...
First we have some Oculus Quest specific stuff:
- Quest for the Golden Trophy is now available on the Oculus Quest!
- We’ve improved lighting on the Quest… this will especially improve the appearance of neon objects in custom rooms.
- Fixed an issue that would make your hands appear jittery… we just had something screwed up, sorry :-/
You can now purchase Hair Dye directly from the Dorm Room mirror appearance menu!
- The Dorm Room appearance menu allows you to buy the items directly from it by popping the Store page
- The menu shows a locked icon for the colors you do not own, and refreshes it once it is purchased
- The Watch Store now properly filters permanent hair dyes with the potion filter
Lots of creation work in this update...
- We've added 17 new Maker Pen Colors (and corresponding neons)! Just in time for Pride month =] There are now 33 colors total to choose from.
Find them in Maker Pen menu, along with all our original colors We added tooltips to the color palette menu to help disambiguate colors
- We found and fixed a color correction bug that was affecting all existing maker pen shapes. So, we fixed it. This may make the colors in your room appear more saturated (and maybe a little darker, depending on circumstances). Sorry for the unexpected change! Many of the new colors are less-saturated options, so you can go back and re-adjust if you need to.
Some other color-related updates...
- There’s now a Recolorable Marker available in the palette menu**. This is a whiteboard marker that can be colored using the Recolor tool!
- Stage Lights and Beacons can now be colored using the Recolor tool
- Please note that we made a change to the Beacon object to align its color palette with other circuit-colored objects (lights, emitters). So they now all react to colors in the same way. This will change the color of your beacons, so you’ll need to re-adjust those too.
We made some updates to the Freeze tool:
- There’s now an "Is Grabbable" setting on all objects! This lets you define whether an (unfrozen) object can be picked up by players who are not holding a Maker Pen. You can change it by using the "Configure" tool on any object. This means you no longer have to freeze objects simply because you don’t want players picking them up.
- Provided a setting in Maker Pen menu to let you make objects grabbable (or not) by default. (Palette > Settings > Create grabbable objects)
- Maker Pen Objects can now be unfrozen using the Select tool by double-selecting the object! Attempting to select a frozen object provides this as feedback.
- Added better error messages when trying to connect/disconnect frozen objects. (Note: You are allowed to attach Gizmos to frozen objects)
- Fixed bug that allowed you to disconnect wires connected to frozen objects
- Fixed bug where trying to select a frozen object would sometimes drop your previous selections
We've also updated the Manipulate and Select tools:
- We improved the Select tool to reduce frustrating deselects, and to provide a way to easily select volumes of objects
- New Select Sphere - using the Select tool, click and drag to select or deselect objects inside a sphere
The size of the sphere depends on distance (to allow precise selection up close, and big areas far away) You can adjust the size of the sphere in Palette > Settings
** In VR the slider can be set to ‘analog’ to change size based on trigger pressure
- To clear a selection, click and hold away from objects, or double click on a single object
Use Undo to get back the cleared selection Double click any object part of a cleared selection to get the last selection back
- Basic selection (tap and double tap) now works in the Move, Rotate, and Scale tools.
The Wire tool also got some love!
- The Wire tool is now magnetic, making it easier to target pins
- We now show an icon to preview what will happen if you complete the current wiring operation:
Circle = you’ll make this connection X = you’ll remove this wire
** Hand = invalid connection (nothing will happen)
- You can now multi-select Chips or Objects to create multiple Wires in one operation!
- The Wire tool tooltip has been replaced with a quicker info display:
We new show the pin info on both start and end connection. We show the incoming or outgoing values.
- Signals are now displayed for the user:
Quick pulse on the connection line As an outgoing value that stays displayed for a few frames
Plus a BUNCH of optimizations and bug fixes across all platforms, including:
- Streamlined boot sequence!
- You can now opt to show your password as you type while logging in
- Improvements to LOD system (improves appearance of custom rooms - especially on PS4 and Quest)
- Tweaked new lighting system to reduce lighting artifacts
- Fixed facial features clipping in share cam pictures
- We did a general clean up of the Maker Pen palette settings menu (just making it a little more sane)
- You can now equip two gloves of the same type but different colors!
- Share cam filters no longer show up in the preview (they were showing up wrongly previously), only in the captured picture
- Fixed bug where screen players would see a revive teammate prompt before the teammate could be revived
- Fixed bug where event creators were unable to instant kick other players from their event
- Fixed bug where the "Disable Auto Mic Muting" room setting wasn't working properly
- Fixed bug where holotars were facing the wrong direction
- Fixed bug where samplers weren't playing correctly
- Fixed bug where players would sometimes not see a HUD when they were supposed to
- Screens - Fixed bug where screen players could get stuck in the sprinting animation
- PS4 screens - Fixed a bug where keyboard wouldn’t close when attempting to log into an existing Rec Room account
- Dodgeball - Fixed bug where dodgeballs would appear to fly in weird paths for players not on court
- Fixed a bug where sandbox buttons could become unresponsive if an item was dropped on it and then removed without touching the button
- Fixed bug where gizmo-connected maker pen objects would sometimes shift for multiple players
- Added setting to update an object's rotation when using object respawner
- Fixed a bug that made Maker Pen colors affect Trigger Volume visibility and brightness (oops)
Please see here for convenient links to controls, tutorials, comfort options, etc.: https://www.againstgrav.com/community/
Thanks for playing Rec Room! As always, don't hesitate to give us your feedback =]