Major update #6 has arrived!
Camera and Monitors
The most highly-requested Stormworks features are finally here. Place cameras on your vehicles for remote operation, surveillance and night-vision capabilities. Use monitors to display video feeds, status information, heads-up-displays and scriptable touchscreen interfaces.
Composite data can now be transmitted wirelessly between vehicles using multiple sizes of antennas. Send video feeds over long distances to create and control drones and ROVs, and use the new "Keep Active" block to keep your vehicles persistent in the world even when you travel away from them.
The script editor and simple Lua API give you even more power over your vehicle's design and behaviour. Write functions to draw text and shapes to monitors on your vehicle, replicate real-world flight systems, and perform complex logic calculations.
We've been looking forward to this update for a long time and had a lot of fun implementing these features. Thanks to all of the great community members who have contributed to this update in one way or another, and we hope the wait has been worth it for all of you that have been requesting these components since the Alpha days. If you find any bugs or have suggestions for future expansions to these new components, let us know on the Stormworks issue tracker or by joining us on Discord.
Full patch notes for this update can be found below.
Looking to the future, we would like to announce that our next major update will largely focus on optimisation and performance improvements. This comes up a lot on the forums and was the second most requested feature in our community poll back in March. We've been planning this update for a while and have some good ideas of ways we can greatly improve performance for all players across a range of hardware, particularly when spawning large vehicles. We'll share more details of this update and the improvements it will bring as we make progress.
Much Love <3
The Stormworkers Developers
Feature - Added 3 camera components (small, medium and gimbal)
- Medium camera has zoom and night vision
- Gimbal camera can be rotated without needing to attach to pivots (similar to spotlights)
Feature - Added infrared mode to light components
Feature - Added 4 monitor components to view camera and video feeds
- Monitors have a composite output with touchscreen data to detect when and where a player is pressing the screen
Feature - Added 2 hud components (small monitors that are transparent)
Feature - New microcontroller components
- Lua scripting components
- Video switchbox
- Text property (allows players to enter custom text that can be used inside a lua script)
Feature - Lua script editor
- Accessible from the property menu of the lua script microcontroller component
- Allows custom scripted tick and draw logic
- Simple API that lets you output draw commands to a video link for custom rendering, including drawing lines, basic shapes, text and the world map
- Scripts have a composite logic input/output for reading and writing data to the regular logic system
- Script editor includes syntax highlighting, a button to check your script compiles and a help tab with some information about available functions
- Monitors that are connected to lua scripts will show error messages if the script fails to execute for easier debugging
Feature - New video logic type used for transferring camera and video feeds between components
- Video logic can be chained through several scripts to layer many draw commands together, making it possible to build self-contained UI microcontrollers
Feature - Added 4 radio antenna sizes
- Larger antennas have higher range (up to 40km)
- Antennas can send and recieve composite data on a set channel
- Antennas have jiggle physics
- Radio signal is reduced when travelling through water
Feature - Added 2 video radio components (transmitter and reciever)
- Similar to radio antennas, but they transmit a video signal
- Quality of video signal will degrade over long distances
Feature - Added "Keep Active" block (a special component that will keep islands/objects/vehicles around it loaded, allowing it to stay spawned in the world at all times)
Feature - New research in career mode for unlocking camera and radio equipiment
Feature - Train junction signals can be switched by broadcasting an on signal on radio channel 440
Fix - Fixed advanced wheels not rotating freely when connected to torque
Fix - Added tyre pressure slider to advanced wheels to mitigate bouncing issues on light vehicles
Fix - Added track tension slider to tank track wheels
Fix - General fixes and improvements to the torque and grip mechanics of advanced wheels and tank tracks
Fix - Vehicles with advanced wheels no longer roll forwards/backwards on flat ground
Fix - Advanced wheels no longer cause anti-gravity vehicles when placed on their side
Fix - Logic nodes across disconnected vehicle bodies are removed when spawning vehicle ("magic" logic connections will now need to use radio signals)
Fix - Improved folding rotor feature (rotors render in folded position when physics has been disabled by interacting with the rotor head)
Fix - Advanced mode components no longer unlock in normal mode when completing research and vice versa
Fix - Minor improvements to SSAO shader
Fix - Fixed island state not saving (lights, doors etc.)