Hey everybody, we’ve been working on an exciting little content update and are finally ready to share it with you.
We've read through tons of your comments, threads and reviews and with this update we aim to bring you some of the most requested features and increase the gameplay variety of ISLANDERS.
This update features:
- 4 New Buildings
- New Island Types
- Screenshot Mode & Zoom
- Balance Adjustments
- Quality of Life Improvements
Thanks for all of your awesome feedback so far. Here is a comprehensive list of all changes we made:
Buildings Added: Seaweed Pack
The seaweed pack contains seaweed fields which need to be placed on water and the seaweed farms which needs to be placed on land.
With this addition we wanted to increase the variety in the early game. The range sphere of the seaweed farm has an offset to allow for some new and interesting placement strategies.
Building Added: Balloon
The balloon is a flying building that gets points from the circus, towers and markets. This will give you a new option in the mid-game and it should be a nice addition to your beautiful city.
Building Added: Monument
The monument is a relatively small building that loves being next to parks and the temple but heavily dislikes fields and hop fields. Why? Cause the gods say so. This is supposed to be a new toy for our most skilled optimizers out there. Let’s see how many points you can squeeze out of this!
New Island Types
As you might know islands in ISLANDERS are procedurally generated so “new island types” just means you’ll see even more variety from now on. Enjoy! :)
Screenshot Mode & Zoom
With this update we’re adding two of the most requested features: Camera zoom and a screenshot mode that hides the ingame UI and cursor. You can enter the screenshot mode by clicking the camera icon in the bottom left corner of the main menu. We love seeing the amazing cities you build, so please keep sharing your screenshots and tag us with @_grizzlygames on Twitter if you post there!
- Reduced Wall-collider size to make them easier to place. Walls now have two range-spheres to allow for more visually pleasing placement.
- More water plateaus in late-game to decrease chances of running out of space.
- Slight rebalancing of Tower to allow for placement on higher ground (because it looks so cool).
- Slightly nerfed the “Air Temple” (Temple on Wall Plateaus over cities) by making it more centered in its range sphere but we also increased its range a bit for compensation.
Other Small Changes
- Fishers, Warehouses, Plateaus, Breweries, City Centers and Shamans now get points from Seaweed Farms or Seaweed Fields and were rebalanced accordingly.
- Mills can now be placed on wooden platforms.
- Resort Oasis is a bit easier to place (reduced collider size and allows for more uneven ground).
- Jewelry earns 35 instead of 30 points from Gold Mine.
- Other small adjustments to incorporate the new buildings.
Quality of Life
- Your online highscore is now updated every time you enter the main menu.
- Added a safety prompt when clicking “New Game” to avoid losing progress on an active session.
- Base score-values for buildings (like the temple's infamous -75) show up in the tooltips now.
- Improved score-preview-UI readability. The little score numbers have an outline now.
We’re still humbled and excited to have such a positive and passionate community. Our approach has always been to be open and honest with you and therefore we want to give you a clear idea where we’re headed with ISLANDERS.
Our midterm goal is to move on to new exciting projects. We feel like that’s how everybody gets the best deal: We can keep doing what we love with new challenges and you’ll get new games!
That being said, we’re listening to your feedback of course and still have a couple of cool things headed your way for ISLANDERS.
Thank you all so much for being such a supportive and positive crowd, keep it up! :)
Friedemann, Paul & Jonas