Phew! This update has been a real doozy!
We spent three days to begin with, trying to discover the cause of the Game is Full bug. We went through every piece of code that somehow connects to online play and were not able to identify it with 100% certainty.
So we decided to throw out our network service and swap it for another, much saner one. We spent the next week and a half implementing the new service and testing it before launching it for you guys'n gals now.
- Required Clothes: We got a lot of requests for this one. Required clothes for each job in the Job Office are now shown.
- Work XP: This one has also been requested a lot. Your current Work Experience is now shown in the info window (accessible by pressing Tab or clicking the player portrait).
New Network Features
- New Server Provider: Because we swapped server providers you will need to have this version or newer to play online games. Make sure you are running version 0.9.8 or higher (visible in the bottom left of the game window). We'll shut down the old service soon.
- Game is Full: Fixed the "Game is Full" bug!
- Many minor bugs: We fixed a bunch of small annoying bugs (like if you accepted an invite to a lobby while in another lobby you couldn't join it)
- Smart Adjustment: If any network messages get dropped or corrupted the game will try and re-adjust. This might mean that one round looks to be out of wack but the player should sync and update him/her-self correctly.
- Other bugs: We probably fixed a bunch of online game bugs we didn't know about!
- Faster Server: Connecting to the servers should be snappier now (in fact we found a few bugs we didn't know about because of this...).
- Same Version: Players now need to have the same version of the game as the game's host. Because of the game's rapid development it's way to easy to run into problems if players with different versions run into each other.
- University bug: Fixed a bug where if a Player exits the university in multiplayer with the enroll dialog open the game would go haywire.
- Syncing: Fixed a bunch of sync bugs.
What does this mean for the future? Well this will allow us to do things such as
- Vote Kick
- Timed rounds (1 min, 3 min, etc.)
- Rejoin game on disconnect
- Ability to identify and fix future network problems faster
- German: If all goes well you'll be able to play the game in German before the end of this week.
- Pets v0.1: Our art department has been drawing away for the past weeks while the programmers wrote network code. We'll be rolling out pets in iterative steps.
- Soundtrack: We got some requests for the soundtrack and we will upload it soon.
- Network: We have tested the new network system a lot internally. We also got our community to try it out and didn't receive any complaints. That said there might still be little sneaky bugs there. If you run into any, please let us know!