Hello everyone! Pretty much satisfied at this point with all the level gen stuff I've done behind the scenes so will be moving on next week to The Sunless Desert and adding a bunch of stuff there. Should go quite quick and smoothly now that I've worked out a lot of the level gen type stuff behind the scenes. For this weeks update we have the following:
- Weapon damage will now run 0.25 - 1.0 of the weapons max damage. This will stop players with say 20 damage weapons dealing random 1s. This change also applies to enemy physical attacks.
- Changed the fortitude talents hit point bonus from 8,6,6 to 8,6,4 to keep it scaled the same as all other talents.
- Changed focus talent from 3,2,2 to 4,3,2 to keep it scaled the same as fortitude.
- Rings of strength, dexterity and intelligence are now slightly rarer.
- Non attribute stat bonus rings have all had their stat bonus raised to +4 to make them more powerful (for that single stat) than the more general attribute rings.
- Baby slimes spawned by the king slime will not give exp to prevent infinite farming.
- Added new unique item drops to the Goblin High Shaman and Death Speakers.
- Once again a lot of difficult to explain improvements here that will mostly start to come to fruition next week as I start to tackle zones in which I can actually start to put in neat stuff. Was definitely having to hold back a lot of ideas for The Upper Dungeon on this one.
- Nonetheless there are some tweaks to generation, some new vaults etc. in The Upper Dungeon.
BUGS AND CRASHES:
- Fixed strafe attack always triggering even when moving away.
FIXES TO RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR
This one has been slowly driving me crazy over the past few months. As was noted a few months ago by Umbr, it appeared like there was some kind of pattern to the class/race selection of the daily challenge. I had also noticed in my own games that certain vaults or static levels never seemed to be selected for generation despite working totally fine when I forced them to generate.
So after silly amounts of investigation and trying to understand the math behind random number generators I did in fact find what turns out to be a bug in the underlying library I'm using. Basically the first 2 values pulled out of the generator after its been seeded had some kind of relationship to each other. This is not a problem for most things since most generation involves hundreds if not thousands of 'dice rolls' but in many cases, the first 2 dice rolls were actually critically important (for example when choosing a race / class combo on daily challenges). So in conclusion, this should now be fixed resulting in:
- Daily challenge should now be correctly randomized.
- A whole bunch of previously implemented but never actually generated static levels should now spawn (that stupid fortress level that seems to appear all the time in The Upper Dungeon for example should be much rarer now).
- A whole bunch of other stuff regarding generation should now be working as actually intended.
So that's it for now! As mentioned above, will be moving on to The Sunless Desert next week, hopefully getting into the swing of knocking off a single zone per week for the foreseeable future. Goal will be to add just a ton of new content: vaults, enemies, uniques, items, terrain, traps, etc. I'm hoping this should go pretty smooth since I've worked out a lot of code for supporting generation in the past few weeks. As always I'll be on discord tomorrow at 2:00pm PST though were getting a new bed delivered some time that day so might have to pop out to grab it.
Thanks as always for all your support and feedback!