Due to popular request from the community, we decided to focus on improving the Engine Room experience for this update. The gameplay mechanics of the engine room have been completely overhauled when the Engine Room assist is turned off. The new centre piece of the experience is the new power management board where the player in the engine room will need to allocate and divert power to different systems as and when those systems are needed by other players in the submarine. Systems such as the Electric Engines, Torpedo Computer and Torpedo Racks operate slower if you provide them with less power. If you exceed the power threshold, you’ll risk blowing a fuse which will plunge the submarine into darkness. Taking damage when the submarine has depleted its hull will also risk blowing fuses. When this happens you’ll need to use the new torch inventory item to find our way around the submarine to remove the blown fuse and restart the power using the main power breaker. Replacement fuses are limited but are automatically replenished when you dock at port.
In addition to the new power management features the engine order telegraph no longer controls the submarine engines directly, the Engine Room player will need to set the appropriate ahead/astern gear and RPM to match the request of the control room player. This change is only in effect when the engine room assist is turned off.
We’ve also improved and re-worked the torpedo targeting system on the Torpedo Data Computer. The Torpedo Computer display will now show a top down view of the targeted ship with colour coded zones indicating how vulnerable that area of the ship will be to torpedoes. The torpedo depth can be set using a new dial on the Torpedo Computer and the top down view will update to show a cross section of vulnerable zones at the selected depth. Successfully hitting a red flashing zone with a torpedo will destroy the vessel. This part of the update is key for us to introduce different enemy types to the open world in future updates.
- Added Power Management mechanic using fuse board in Engine Room
- Added main power breaker to Engine Room
- Replaced AUX Power and Compressor sliders with Ahead/Astern gear and Electric Engine RPM slider.
- Moved Engine Room Engine Order Telegraph to above electric engine controls.
- Increased charge penalty for diesel generators running outside of optimal temperature.
- Added detection radius penalty when Snorkel is above surface.
- Added a torch inventory item.
- Updated the engine room tutorial.
- Improved Torpedo Computer targeting system to show zones of vulnerability of targeted vessel.
- Added Torpedo Depth dial selector to Torpedo Computer
- Show intercept direction line of torpedo before and during firing.
- Added vulnerable zone to rear of destroyer.
- Added vulnerable zone to rear of battleship.
- Rebalanced the leak appearance and flow rate for single and multiplayer.
- Added an additional welder located in the sensor room
- Players no longer spawn with a rebreather, there is now a limit of two and can be found next to the welder in the control room and sensor room.
- Rebreather air is now replenished automatically when docked at port.
- Dead players now respawn automatically when docked at port.
- Added a new menu to the hand display that allows the host to kick players from the game.
- Reduced volume of diesel generators
- Reduced volume of air compressor
- Bug fixes