With this update, the beta 2.7.x series should be concluded.
Much like our last update, we focused on squashing bugs, but also balancing, refining some systems and improving the mechanical depth of the game.
This time around, we took a look at crafting and deepened the impact of several factors including required doodad quality (which was largely unimportant previously) as well as adding "tiers" to required tools, making it so better tools could produce better quality items. New sorting options will also help to maximize crafting benefits. Get those legendary furnaces and iron hammers out!
Some other stand-out changes include:
* Added custom game modifiers for individually disabling certain creatures and/or aberrant spawns. * Different types of chests and containers now have different preservation levels for decaying items inside. * Player movement and actions will begin to slow as stamina decreases past 15 stamina for visual feedback before exhaustion damage occurs. * You can now sort items by "best for crafting requirements" or "best for crafting consumables". * Item pick-ups no longer delay movement based on the amount of items picked up. Item notifications are now sped up to match the amount. * Improved scared creature AI so they will attempt to move away from attacking players on occasion and pathfind more intelligently.
You can take a look at some of the preview media for this update shared in the last update post.
After this update, we will begin working on the next major update (provided there are no major issues). Our hope with beta 2.8 is to take a look at some systems and areas of the game that are getting a bit long in the tooth. This includes an overhaul to the inventory and crafting interface as well as improving the performance of the game (the two are closely linked). We will of course be adding lots of new content and improvements as well, picking some of the things suggested based on the wishlist discussions and poll.
* Higher tiered tools and items now produce better quality results when crafting (for example, an iron hammer versus a stone hammer). * Added custom game modifiers for individually disabling certain creatures and/or aberrant spawns. * Different types of chests and containers now have different preservation levels for decaying items inside. * The quality of required doodads (furnaces, kilns, etc.) will now provide bonuses to crafted item quality. * Games won or lost after this update will be replayable (same seed, same options) via their highscores. * Introduced a new terrain variety system for a select few tiles to start with for increased visual differentiation. * You can now configure your starting skills and skill gain multipliers globally in the custom game options. * Fire elementals now spawn when causing fire to overflow through stoking or other means at lower reputation levels.
* Player movement and actions will begin to slow as stamina decreases past 15 stamina for visual feedback before exhaustion damage occurs. * You can now sort items by "best for crafting requirements" or "best for crafting consumables" instead of the previous best sorting merging the two, giving poor results. * Open fires will now visually match their burning stage and fuel level. * Certain skills will now provide consumable bonuses for edible items such as the cooking skill for cooked foods much like the previous bonuses for botany for fruit/vegetables. * Adjacent items will now fully unlock crafting recipes instead of just allowing them to be crafted. * Added difficulty, mods, PVP, and friends icons to the pause menu. * Pressing the "enter" bind in dropdown components will now select the first entry in the list. * Hitting creatures or other players with torches in water will now extinguish them. * Item and stat notifications now follow the players and creatures. * You can now use the up & down arrow keys to navigate through your sent chat messages, in order to resend text or commands. * Improved scared creature AI so they will attempt to move away from attacking players on occasion and pathfind more intelligently. * Slimes can now on occasion combine into a jelly cube. * You can now import and export "Custom Mode" game options. * When you are not able to cause any damage to a creature, an immune notifier will now show on each hit. * Item pick-ups no longer delay movement based on the amount of items picked up. Item notifications are now sped up to match the amount. * You can now set the seed for challenge games (not daily). * Milestones will now only unlock within hardcore and challenge modes. * You can now stoke fire elementals to heal them. * You will now be able to catch fish adjacent to tiles from where your line was cast to. * Increased difference in color between miss messages/notifiers versus exceptional items and stat message/notifiers versus legendary items. * You can now blacklist types of messages in a message filter.
* Fixed swapping equipment in hands not working properly. (Thanks rifticles!) * Fixed the "enter" bind unfocusing the selected button. * Fixed the left & right arrow keys not working in text inputs. * Fixed being able to repair trees with hammers. * Fixed being able to transmogrify magical essence with itself. (Thanks Rofldong!) * Fixed tentacles not being considered raw meat and worm meat not being considered meat. * Fixed sleeping/resting removing hooded equipment on your character. * Fixed the appearance of a few UI components in Screenshot Mode: tooltips, the pause button (in multiplayer), and the menu bar. * Fixed keyboard support not working on dropdown components in menus. * Fixed notifier sometimes not fading out items and numbers properly. * Fixed container dialog titles not being updated when removing a rename. * Fixed an error when loading a game that had a disabled mod's quest requirement pinned. * Fixed a bug where players would gain extra stat values when equipped with legendary stat-increasing equipment. (Thanks sechsauge!) * Fixed log files getting very large when joining multiplayer servers. * Fixed black screen and out of memory issues when joining large servers. * Fixed an issue that caused the global save data to import incorrectly. (Thanks Amax!) * Fixed an issue that could cause the game to only partially load due to corrupt global save data. (Thanks Nandalee!) * Fixed blurring the chat input sometimes sending the message. * Fixed previously tamed creatures not attacking the player while being hitched if they previously were attempting to attack another creature. (Thanks sechsauge!) * Fixed language setting being reset when closing from in-game. * Fixed a issue that did not update the name of a container when transmogrifying it. (Thanks sechsauge!) * Fixed modded images not displaying on UI elements on macOS. * Fixed item notifiers not fading out properly or showing all items that were picked up. * NPCs will no longer hurt themselves by walking into dangerous things. * Prevented hangs due to Steam Workshop issues when starting the game. (Thanks Matthew Cline!)
* Missing in combat will now have less of a chance to gain skill. * Some creatures are now harder to hit based on what tile they are on including fish in water. * Slightly reduced the benefit of using increased quality items affecting crafted item quality (due to other changes that benefit crafts). * Decreased the effectiveness of stoking fire and reduced fire starting fuel levels slightly. * Decreased odds of increasing metabolism through skill use. * As aberrant creatures scale with players, the quality of their loot and carved resources are now increased as well. * Decreased the weight of coal and increased its fuel potential and trading worth. * Trampling plants now has a rare chance to spawn claw worms (this includes both players and other creatures). * Reduced base aberrant defense and increased effectiveness of individual resistances and vulnerabilities. * You will no longer take double damage and "work yourself into exhausting" when taking damage from starving/dehydration at low stamina values. * Increased the damage produced by stepping in lava. * Decreased the amount of ash dropped from lit torches. * Pineapples will no longer provide any health benefits when consuming them. * Slightly decreased effectiveness of botany/mycology skills affecting consumable items.
* Added the hook ShouldCraft for cancelling crafts. * Added the hook OnInspectionSection for tweaking tile inspections in tooltips. * Allowed providesLight to function without providesFire.
* Fixed desyncs when using the kill action on players.
* Performance improvements when loading games.