It has been a long time coming, but we are excited to release the first update for Sunburnt!
There have been a bunch of changes (full changelist at the bottom), but we thought we would highlight a few big changes below:
This update comes with 3 brand new characters for you to play. Right now it is random chance which character you get to play as, but as the game development progresses we will be adding player profiles which allow you to customize your character.
The Flare Gun provides lasting damage toward nearby zombies long after you fire it into a crowd. It can be useful to prune large hoards of zombies down to more manageable sizes.
We are pretty happy to include the Firework Launcher in this update as it has technically been in the game since the official release, but not all the systems were in place for it to work correctly.
Traps are something we have been wanting to add for a while, as you may not have realised but the number you earn on the bottom right of your screen is actually credits. Now you can use your credits to purchase short term traps which activate light sources around the map, these can be helpful in the later waves when the large hoards of zombies become a bit much to handle.
Online Player Counter
A small but useful change, you will now find a live player counter on the top right of the main menu.
You can now brag about your highscores using the new online leaderboard system!
We now host multiple dedicated servers in response to player feedback. Hopefully this will improve the online experience for a lot of players and start a platform of which we can start to build a community around Sunburnt.
The new profile statistics piggy back of the new Leaderboard system allowing you to get long term statistics on how many zombies you kill, or how many millions of centimeters you apparently run.. (super accurate stats).
Improved Menu System
Mainly cosmetic changes to the menu but it should also be a lot more user friendly now.
You get some more information from the compass now, such as whether other players are above/below you. When another player goes down their icon will change and pulse to hopefully get help from other players.
- NEW compass UI element, allowing you to see where other players are in relation to you.
- NEW Firework launcher implemented
- NEW Flare Gun
- NEW Profile statistics
- NEW Sprint bar
- NEW Trap system, you can activate most lights around the map using your credits!
- Added a sprint bar to the bottom left of the screen
- Added configuration settings for dedicated server hosting.
- Added join in progress filter when using quick match.
- Added more storage units around the Town map.
- Added special collisions to climbing frame so players can no longer get stuck inside.
- Attempting to sprint while reloading will not stop the reloading animation.
- Better implementation of Steam sub system
- Changed weapon attachement code to fix fatel crash.
- Compass now indicated whether a player is above or below you
- Fixed an issue with the match timer overlapping into other sessions.
- Fixed bug allowing loading screen to get stuck on the screen.
- Fixed bug caused by the low battery indicator.
- Fixed crash when quiting to windows.
- Fixed gap in multistory car park
- Fixed highlighting bug brought on by engine update
- Fixed the default filter settings in the main menu.
- Generator now spawns in a random location along with players
- Generator starts with some items in lower difficulties
- Improved interaction hint widget
- Improved player collisions to get better cloth physics.
- Improved the appearence and functionality of the main menu
- Invite friends directly from the in game lobby.
- Items will no longer spawn next to a player, stopping people camping on cars.
- Lots of bug fixes.
- Lots of changes to the Town map, nav mesh fixes and tweaks to aid zombie movement.
- Lots of optimisations to improve frame rate and gameplay experience.
- Lots of tweaks to the item spawner to balance the game better. Spreading out items more widely.
- Lots of tweaks to the UI to improve player experience and make the overall interface cleaner.
- Many tweaks on weapon range/power usage and damage to balance the game better.
- New online leaderboards!
- New playable characters: Business Man, Cheerleader and Hippie
- New server list menu.
- New strafing animations added to characters.
- Notifications are now displayed on the bottom left of the screen
- Optimised collisions for parts of the Town map
- Players are now given some items when spawning on Normal and Easy difficulties.
- Players will no longer receive score when standing on a car or a dumpster.
- Rare items can now be found in special locations on the map, harder to reach locations.
- Reduced the noise made by gas pumps and generators.
- Reduced the size of player health bars.
- Removed duplicate assets and unused assets from the Town map.
- Session state now updates just before returning to lobby to improve session filter.
- Setup some dedicated servers, early days on this one so expect issues.
- Single shot weapons like the firework launcher will reload automatically after being fired.
- Snacks and other items can now be stacked to save space in your inventory.
- Some item containers will have a bias over others, changing the order of which items spawn.
- Special Crates now spawn around the map
- Stage light is now more powerful but will not last as long as it did.
- The compass will now display when players are downed and in need of assistance.
- The main menu now displays the Normal difficulty leaderboard.
- The zombie AI has had lots of tweaks to improve the gameplay experience.
- There are now different holding animations for different weapons.
- Trying to jump while reloading will stop the reloading animation.
- Updates splash screen to be shorter and more condensed.
- Users are now authenticated on the dedicated servers
- Weapons can now have a clip size which doesn't match the stack size, so you can stack lots of ammo while only using a few at a time
- Weapons now have a chance of spawning ammo alongside the weapon in containers.
- When playing with mouse and keyboard, your mouse will be centered when opening the inventory.
- You can now see how many players are online on the main menu screen.
- Zombies react to light by holding their hands up.
- Zombies should now spread out more when following players.
- Zombies slow down more when damaged. Getting slower as they get more damaged.
We hope you enjoy this update and stay tuned for more soon!