First day of summer sale was quite crazy not only for Valve, but us too. Everything was pretty stable in first couple of hours, but then Kotaku published an article about our Steam calculator, which resulted in quite a bit of traffic. Now keep in mind that Steam at that time was barely working, as everyone and their pets were trying to buy games, and that was the main bottleneck that was causing our site to slow down. We had to take down the calculator for a while, before we figured out what exactly was causing issues.
Next day, after re-writing half of the code and lowering timeouts for Steam API requests, we opened up the calculator for logged in users to confirm that our changes were working as expected. Later that day, calculator was up and running for everyone.
- GONE CDR has been removed from our database and website
- HOT Partially rewritten calculator for better performance and faster response times
- NEW Added metacritic score to app header
- NEW #43 Added paginator on our blog
- NEW #111 Sales page now remembers selected currency
- FIXED #114 Set Steam API calls timeout so calls do not execute too long and drag website performance down
- FIXED Fixed calculator not displaying profile information if user did not own any games
- FIXED Fixed search field redirect shenanigans not working in older Internet Explorer versions
- FIXED Fixed app header links not displaying correctly in older Internet Explorer versions
- FIXED Fixed minor HTML markup bugs