We have some exciting news to share with our players. Much requested by you, the community, we will be releasing a full set of modding tools for Steel Division 2 today! With these new tools, you’ll be able to modify, add or otherwise alter a host of different core features of our game: from vehicles to infantry weapons, divisions, sounds, skins and 3D models, and much more.
Let’s take a look at what to expect!
The new modding tools
The modding tools is a feature set asked for by you, the Steel Division 2 community, for some time. After releasing our game, our first goal was to improve the core experience of Steel Division 2, to make sure that both newcomers and veterans alike would love it from the moment they jumped in. As you know, it included new features such as the Smart Orders, the tutorials, new maps, new divisions and a whole slew of other interesting new mechanics. The results you have been able to play with since the release of our Death on the Vistula History DLC.
Modding tools have always been on our to-do list, and in the recent weeks and months, we have finally been able to devote the necessary attention and energy to make this extensive new feature set a reality.
What can you do?
A better question is: what can’t you do with these new tools? We have opened up the inner vaults of Steel Division 2 for you to play with. Together with the modding tools, we have also released an in-depth manual for you to use as a guide in creating new models and skins, files, tweaks, total conversions, you name it.
You can find the Modding Manual here.
The things you can change, upgrade, alter and modify in Steel Division 2:
- Skins and Models. You can change existing skins and create new textures for your models. You can also alter existing Steel Division 2 3D models and their meshes. The famous Pink Panther is finally within reach!
- User Interface. You can change and move around parts of the user interface, including the menus, loading screens, the tactical interface, the pre- and post-match screens.
- Weapons and Units. You can modify all the existing statistical properties for all the weapons and units in the game, from nitty-gritty details such as the ROF of machine guns to the armor distribution of vehicles, the rotation speed of turrets, and more.
- Divisions. Of course, you can also modify existing divisions and battlegroups, and add your own! Among other things, Activation Points for each category can be changed, as well as the individual costs for units.
- Gameplay. Do you want Phase A to last 2 minutes? Or instead 30 minutes? You can change that! All the variables and settings involving a Steel Division 2 game can be tweaked.
- AI. You can modify the AI settings and strategies. Updating existing profiles across various modes is possible, allowing you to create the most cunning of foes, for instance, in single-player Skirmish, online or Historical Battles.
- Sounds. You can add your own sounds and music to Steel Division 2. You can also modify existing sounds. Get ready to hear some more oomph in your Flak 36 88 mm boom!
As you know, Eugen Systems is based in France. Our baguette language interpretation of English can be seen in the internal labels used in the modding tools. Don’t let our Frenglish discourage you from using them. We are always around to help (and explain what might have been lost in translation).
Steel Division 2 is a complex game with many different interconnected parts; it is something that we are very proud of having created. We know Steel Division 2 can be a hardcore game that is a challenge to master. We hope that with our new modding tools there will be an even wider breadth of complexity, of historical accuracy, of interesting new experimental game concepts - created by our players, for our players.
We can’t wait to see what our community will come up with.
Now, we need to get back in making Steel Division 2 an even better game. We can’t tell you exactly what, but lots of tasty, good things are cooking in Eugen’s kitchen. Keep an eye out on our Steam and Eugen forums and social channels (Facebook and Twitter).
See you on the battlefield, commander!