PVKII Beta 0.4.2.0 Update Changelog & Release Notes
After many years of development, many hands programming, and many hours of crafting nav meshes; we are happy to release PVKII GrogBots into the wild! Tremendous thank you to our coders over the years, developers and testers, and authorized creators who all contributed to our GrogBots.
What are GrogBots? Simply put, they’re computer controlled players like those found in other source engine games like CS:GO or TF2. Players can practice against them offline, and play against them online alongside other players. GrogBots are on by default, so bots will populate any server, even if no one is playing. GrogBots are kind and give their spots up for a real players when they join. Watch the game chat as they may wish to talk to you!
PVKII has a deep and complex combat system. To help teach players, both old and new, we will be introducing a series of streamlined learning resources, starting with GrogBots. After GrogBots we will release an extensive Player Guide, and soon after that, Video Tutorials.
We’ve also made a significant change to the battlefield. The GrogBot Update removes auto parry, and with it, the distinction between auto and manual. The playing field has been made fair for all players. No one is at an advantage. There are no more guessing games. Attack and block using timing, wit, and skill. Rulesets have been adjusted to reflect this change.
- Offline and Online Bots, aka GrogBots!
- GrogBot Achievements
- Removal of Auto Parry
- Map Changes
- New Mapping Entities
- Various Code & Resource Updates
Please see below for a Changelog that details many of the changes in this release. Head over to our Bug/Support Forums, or Steam Discussion to report any issues.
Please note that only official PVKII maps have tailored nav_meshes, to create a basic nav mesh or for some helpful tips for creating a nav_mesh for your map, please see the following references.
- Absolute Sentience (Ooops, that is kind of embarrassing)
- John Connor (50 bot kills)
- Rise of the Machines (Kill 250 bots)
- Judgement Day (Kill 1000 bots)
- bot_difficulty [0|1|2] - Sets the bot difficulty level, easy (0), medium (1), hard (2).
- bot_quota [0 - MAX_PLAYERS] - Set's the number of players/bots to maintain in the server. Will leave 1 slot open on the server at all times.
- bot_require_humans [0|1] - Controls whether the server should require a human to be present before joining the bots.
- bot_chatter [0|1] - Controls whether the bots will run their mouth
- bot_cycle [0|1] - Controls whether the bots will cycle in and out of the server.
- bot_min_desired_play_time - The minimum amount of playtime a bot will spend in the server (in seconds) before leaving.
- bot_max_desired_play_time - The maximum amount of playtime a bot will spend in the server (in seconds) before leaving.
- bot_kick_all - Kick all bots from the server and set bot_quota to 0.
- addbot - Add bot to random team with random class.
- addbot [team number] - Add bot to team with random class.
- addbot [team number 2-4] [class number (starting from 0)] - Add bot to team with specified class.
Debug Commands (listen server only)
- bot_debug - Enable/disable bot debug hud.
- bot_select - Selects the bot the player is aiming at for debugging.
- bot_select_next - Select the next bot on the server.
- bot_select_prev - Select the previous bot on the server.
- bot_givespecial - Give full special meter to bot.
- bot_blockhere - Order the bot to stand and block using a shield.
- bot_holdposhere - Order the bot to hold position at the location of the crosshair's intersection with the ground
- bot_moveto - "Moves a bot to the position the issuing player is looking at.
- bot_goforchest - Schedules the bot to go after the chest the player is pointing to.
- bot_dropitem - Drop the item the bot is holding.
Removal of Auto Parry
- Auto Parry has been removed from the game. Now everyone uses the same parrying system, which was called Manual Parry when Auto Parry still existed.
- Rulesets have been adjusted to reflect this change.
- Lts_cathedral Sudden Death changed to minimize bots getting stuck on pillars, pillars are now destructible by melee attacks but cannot be destroyed by range weapons.
- Te_sandstorm removed pillar from food cache territory to assist bots.
New Mapping Entities
- Info_target_attack, This entity is used to indicate to bots that an entity or brush is attackable. Set the parent of the info_target_attack entity to the object you want the bot to see as a possible target.
- func_nav_blocker, This entity will block/unblock any touching nav_mesh. Use entity block and unblock inputs to block/unblock.
- Info_map_cvar, This entity, when placed in a map, allows the map to modify the following CVARS on the server but only for the duration of the map. After map change the server's original settings are restored.
Code Fixes and Updates
- Added boot screen
- Bot game dialog, w/ additional options
- Added BOT tags for death notices, objective notices, and scoreboard
- Increased both legs dismember chance
- Fixed character info ESC crash
- Speculative fix for rare round start crash
- Various fixes to MapHack system
Mac OSX Fixes
- Fixed a crash which could prevent mac users from joining the game.
- Fixed a bug where Bondi’s special would cause the screen to turn red.
- Fixed a crash caused by an experimental shader engine.
- Updated Explosion particle effects
- Fixed feathers being used on Berserker head dismemberment
This update is a result of many years of hard work. We’ve listed Developers and Contributors below we feel have put in substantial efforts over the years into making this release possible. Akz, Felis, Fuz, Popemaster, SauceMan527, Saunachum, Smutpirate, Spirrwell and Nive.
Special thanks to PVKII player community for providing Bot name suggestions:
Baldymanz, BlackDragon, Blazeris The Cat, Blue Oyster Cultist, carltonhanks, Colonel, Conscious Creature, CornKing, Djak, donan, Fotgof, Foxboi, fuz, GhostZeBear, Homer, Intelligence, "I shall not, sir.", jgh238, JimmyElPelado, Joshy, Jovana, Kaizuriku, latrox, lokkdokk, Luigi, Mr. Mjau, Mr. Rumdum, Mr.Tonguesoff, MSTVD, MysticEyes, Nex, Plank, Popemaster, Ricci, SaunaChum, Sir Mel Gibsman, Squeakers, TheRedWii, usobuki, Vladimir, WarHistoryGeek, [H] Hark Scrumpy, [ϺɌ] Visuv.
PVKII GrogBot Update is here! Keep the bloody good times going by celebrating with us and helping squash some bugs! Come out and play with us this Sunday Nov 17 at 1:30 EST / GMT-5. Once the event is scheduled on steam, refer to the Steam Community Hub Event for most accurate time for your area.
We'll be playing on the following servers:
MrAgent's 0.4.2.0 Official Server
Server 2 - To Be Determined
Server 3 - To Be Determined
*Server listings are subject to change.
We'd ask that you please adhere to all server rules for the game and on discord, and follow any rules enforced by server admins, developers, or testers throughout the event. Sounds easy, and we'll have fun!
Join the conversation on the official PVKII Discord! Interact with devs, testers, creators, and community!
See you in game!