Just a big bunch of bug fixes with this one. Wanted to clear out some of these issues before moving onto the next major update.
First major fix, that was seriously effecting a small number of people: There is some kind of issue that is causing save files to corrupt which made the game load to 99% then freeze. Console window would display something along the lines of 'failed to parse a token at [X]'. Reinstalling would sometimes not fix this issue since depending on how the reinstall works, it might not clear the save files. So the game will now at least popup a window letting you know whats occurred and direct you to the directory where you can delete the offending file, and point you to the pinned bugs and crashes thread here in the forums where you can leave some information. I've never seen this occur myself so will need help tracking down the source of this issue from anyone who is effected.
Bugs and Crashes:
- Disengage will now correctly show invalid targeting when an ally is behind you.
- Fixed the numbering on the text options after death (was previously 2, 3)
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to sprint through an enemy standing in a doorway. In fact, all pathfinding was apparently treating an open door + character as 'passable' so this likely fixed many other underlying issues.
- Lunging will no longer trigger traps in the path (assume the player is leaping over them).
- Items in the quick slot are now taken into account by the loot generator. It was previously possible to have say a +1 bow in the quick slot and then have the loot generator create a +0 bow.
- Fixed strafe attack attempting to trigger when reloading the game, teleporting, going up and down stairs or pits etc. This was causing a hard crash.
- Ring of storms now correctly adds storm focus.
- Fixed stairs spawning in the skeleton vault in the upper dungeon. Also falling into it from pit traps.
- Fixed: could not descend pits when levitating.
- Using a scroll of domination on a previously charmed enemy will now override the charm correctly (an old one!).
- Fixed energy shroom tea, potions of levitation, etc. not giving the status effect.
- Fixed the exploding walls trigger in one of the Yendor end levels.
- Items will no longer spawn on the portals in the Arcane Tower, rendering them unlootable.
- Charge crunch will now correctly crit the enemy.
- Fixed piranhas spawning on shock reeds in some Swamp vaults.
- Heavy brass boots now have a price (not 1gp).
- Targeting at max range of tunnel shot will now show the correct targets (was previously showing nothing, though it still worked as expected).
- Fixed targeting traps with projectiles weapons, consumable projectiles, spears, staves etc.
- Stopped vines from spreading onto lava (an old one)
- Guaranteed a path around the lava in one of The Core entrance vaults to stop your allies from getting stuck.
- Wishing well was reported as not spawning on OF:2. Apparently it was always spawning on OF:1, so I've now just set it to spawn with the library.
- Enemies will no longer initiate slow charges if there is a pit in the way.
- Spears no longer trigger damage shields (another old one)
- Fixed a hard crash when the unique ogre shaman in The Ogre Caves, tries to blink one of his allies.
- One way stairs now work with the stairs button (default s)
- Quitting the game after victory (by x-ing out the window) but before pressing OK will no longer leave a save game which you can continue (a VERY old one!).
User Interface and Misc:
- Fixed the description of protection. Protection was actually working, just a visual issue here.
- Added a proper screen fade transition when descending pits.
- Spiky shields now correctly show the damage shield stat in their description.
- Fixed the spacing on the ( and ) in skill text descriptions.
- Damage shields now show up in Status Effects window.
- Life Tap now shows up in Status Effects window.
- Added description to the reflection status effect.
- Inferno Rings and Rings of Thunder now use the basic damage shield system rather than creating actual fire / shock which can often kill the player. While I liked that these were unique I think its a bit silly to have a defensive, passive item, that is trigger by enemies, that can potentially kill the player. This sort of an effect would likely make more sense as some sort of short term, powerful buff spell that the player has no knowingly activate and only lasts for a short amount of time.
Big thank you to everyone who's posting these bug reports! Its making it nice and easy to track these things down and get them fixed. I'm going to try to make it a habit of spending an extra week or two after each major update to clear out as many of these as possible.
Next major update will be reworking the way that character development works i.e. the whole skill, talent, attribute, requirements etc. system. This should actually be reasonably quick (a few weeks) since the code is fairly trivial and the design is mostly worked out on paper. So rather than spending a ton of time trying to get it all perfectly balanced by myself, I think the next update will likely be one of those 1.32.[x] type things with a bunch of mini updates as we collectively figure out how to balance and adjust it.
I'll be watching this thread and discord for the next few days just to make sure the fixes didn't introduce any new horrible crashes (always a possibility!) then I'll be moving on! Thanks as always for all your support and feedback!