I've spent the last few months upgrading the build system for Starship Rubicon to get it to run more nicely on modern systems (compiling it with Blitzmax NG as opposed to the depreciated vanilla Blitzmax).
If you've had problems getting it running on Windows 10, this should be the fix for you. Or a 64-bit linux system. Or, like, any mac.
Joystick support is dropped. If you really want it, you can opt back into the 2.2 branch.
- Moved from a 32- to a 64-bit build.
- OpenGL is now the graphics driver for all platforms.
- Locked the render resolution to 1280x720 so the game doesn't play differently on different sized screens.
- Lancer AI has been changed to hit-and-run instead of circle-and-shoot.
- Dialogue size resized from 2x to 1.5x (I'm still not happy with how it looks, but it was too big)
- Reef boss now is layered underneath shots instead of on top of them.
- New terrain hazard: spinning beam-shooting mines a la mission impossible.
- Umm, some other enemy tweaks that I didn't record well. I think the advanced interceptor has less kickback so they're a little easier to hit, and advanced beam turret might turn slower?
There may be a new bug where some background graphics glitch out. I think I've tweaked things to fix them, but let me know if you see them (a screenshot would be helpful!).