this patch adds a seasonal theme option, a new Halloween skin and seasonal collections for the discover tab that we will manually curate.
Wallpaper Engine can now adjust the skin it uses dynamically based on the current date. To get started, we have improved the Halloween skin and set up the dates and we intend to add a few more skins to be displayed over the year.
You can control this with a new setting next to the skin option:
The Discover tab will also show new seasonal lists at the top next to the approved list. They will appear for a given time frame each year.
We have removed the recently added 'search relevance' option again because as it turns out, Steam doesn't order by popularity at all with this setting which leads to random wallpapers being displayed first even when there are popular ones that match the text just as well.
Instead of using search relevance, Wallpaper Engine will now automatically enable the 'exact match' option if the search text contains any spaces to avoid single words being matched by Steam. This should keep results sorted by popularity and also prevent Steam from returning completely unrelated results if any search text with a space is used.
Since a few months more users seem to have issues with wallpapers not returning after Windows or display hibernation or when the PC starts. It seems that some change in Windows or a graphics driver made the monitor identification of Windows even less reliable. This update adds additional and delayed checks for monitor changes and also introduces a new, more stable fallback option you can choose if the options from Windows alone just don't work right.
There is also a detailed explanation for each option now when you click the question mark next to it:
Pick the option 'Layout' if the wallpapers still frequently disappear on your system after using Windows sleep or monitor sleep.
- Added new Halloween skin.
- Added seasonal themes.
- Added seasonal curated collections.
- Added info box to monitor identification option.
- Added new 'layout' monitor identification option that merely uses the position.
- Fixed text layer crashing if it's empty but effects are applied.
- Fixed missing platform translations in launcher.
- Fixed script user properties only returning last modified values.
- Fixed particle element name being cut.
- Fixed particle playback script functions.
- Fixed GIF importer for GIFs that use 'restore frame' without having a frame to restore to.
- Removed greeting asset and instead moved it to a tutorial:
- Changed Workshop search to add quotation marks automatically if the search text contains a space. Steam's built-in options just have too many problems.
- Removed search relevance option.
- Renamed log generated by ui to uilog.txt.
- Added redundant and delayed monitor refresh after logging in or resolution changing because drivers are so buggy.