The huge 1.2 update is finally here! New combined campaign mode, much bigger map and module rework are all included in the base version of the game!
Here's a short video of me talking about it awkwardly while trying to play the game on a new map:
In case you are more into reading, here's the full changelog below!
- map is now at least 2x bigger; infinite (sandbox) mode allows to create 7 times bigger map than before
- map has random events/resource collection points appearing. There are 4 different occurable events now, we might add for more if you like them
New game mode, "Campaign":
Combines all previous game modes into one map - we've heard you, you want it all together. The new map size allowed for it so it's our pleasure to add the combined "Campaign" mode that brings building a lighthouse, feeding the fish god, getting rich and supplying the inns together.
New biome, codename "Red":
- Different architecture and background (update screenshots btw)
- Different quests from "normal" guild, takes mostly tier-2 resources
- Can only get advanced ships there now
- Has no refueling posts, harder to reach / travel through from the start
New production chain and island type
- Wheat island added, can be encountered in red biome
- Two new buildings: wheat farm that gathers wheat, windmill that processes wheat into flour
- Bread is baked in the ovens from the flour (rather than straight from the wheat now)
Module system rework:
Based on your feedback, we understood that module system was not feasible with modules breaking and simply taking too much money / travels to re-install. We're addressing this today.
- Modules are no longer removed after they break
- Rather, you need to fix them by collecting scrap in the map view
- Six new ship modules added
For now, modules do not disappear after they've reached zero durability. We've also added some modules to interact with map events.
- 2 new ships added (faster, lower costs; perfect for small-scale caravans)
- Starter island has a shipwright now (with the two new ships)
- Ship rebalancing: increased amount of modules; increased prices; reduced fuel capacities. At the current stage it felt like you can buy the biggest ship and forget about refueling altogether, we wanted to change that. You will still be way better off with larger ships, but you'll still need to refuel now and then.
Just to add some ships more suitable for caravans due to their lower expenses. Carrying goods between islands (especially due to larger distances) should feel better now.
- Added game goal page in quest log
- current quests for this island are now shown in island info panel
- Objective indicator points towards the current quest target on the map
- Island info scrolling works with middle mouse button even when map is not hovered over it
- House sprite reworked (will be prettier now)
- Y(gamepad) / T(keyboard) button should properly close the bottom right travel menu
- Moved island name to quick navigation panel from ship panel (to open space for more modules)
- Space button / RT gamepad button will return focus on your ship in now-bigger map window
- Add scrollable functionality at price comparison table (and make clicking on an island actually go there)
- Improved Island info scrolling on map view
Fixed captain visual effect (not visiting some islands properly)
Spanish language added
Thanks to Okazo, we've managed to add Spanish translation into the game. Thanks to our amazing community for maintaining other languages and making sure its possible to play Merchant of the Skies in 6 different languages!
Save compatibility saved, although I have no idea why would you want to play on older map :) As usual, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions with us. Every comment gives us a chance to improve the game.
To celebrate this patch, we're putting the game on 20% sale. We sincerely hope that you enjoy the new patch and we're even more excited for things to come next. Thanks for playing the game and supporting us all this time.
Helen and Vladimir