"Are you or have you been a member of the communist party? Yes or no, answer my question!"
I used this sentence to test the effect of aggressive rhetoric on a comrade in high school... Be assured that it works surprisingly well.
Of course, I conducted this small experiment due to Joseph McCarthy, the main figure of the second Red Scare. As you have understood by now, and because Halloween is approaching, we will talk about the worst fear of America: Communism!
The Red Scare is composed of two separate elements in the game, each unlocked by their own focus.
If the focus 'Passive Containment' is selected, the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) starts its investigations and tries to unmasks communist agents in the US. At that point, you can orient the committee towards the Army or the Department of State. If the Army is chosen, it will lead to an investigation into the so-called 'Dixie Mission', a group sent to contact Chinese communists during the Second World War. This can evolve in various ways, depending on the targets of the anger of HUAC but rest assured your domestic Military interest will have to pay a price for their treachery. Leading to conflicts between Joseph McCarthy and various other historical characters, if the strategic military capabilities are impacted by the investigations, General Curtis Lemay will not be far behind. Will you be reminded of your need to protect his nuclear reactions force so that the simulation of the next world war has a favorable US outcome?
Another path will see McCarthy collide with none other than George Marshall himself as he tries to maintain the Chinese united front and prevented the Kuomintang from attacking Mao's communists. For someone, such as Senator McCarthy, it could mean only one thing: Marshall had to be a communist sympathizer at the very least.
At the end of the day, if McCarthy has not been stopped by scrupulous investigative journalism, he will enter a final conflict with the director of the CIA, Allen Dulles. Accusations over the possible mismanagement of classified documents by the organization cannot go unanswered. Historically, it involved a printing press which supplied the CIA and could become a nest of "Reds" ready to read secret documents before they even reached the desks of the agency. I will just let you know that the suspicious documents hunted by McCarthy were actually of little value and it would have been sensible only if they had been filled anyway. By definition, they were not in the possession of the CIA at that point and caused a terrible loss of credibility for McCarthy who was later condemned by the Senate.
The second part of the Red Scare you will find in your terminal is centered around the tumultuous reaction of the film industry. To start this decision chain, the Hollywood Investigation focus must be selected. It begins just after the famous event of the 'Hollywood 10' during which 10 famous personalities of the film industry refused to say if they were communist or not. Some went into exile and others ended up in prison for their refusal. Yet, this caused a stir and a debate was born. In the balance lies the future of American cinema. It became patriotic and grand, as seen in Invasion USA or Rocky IV.
After the Hollywood 10, investigations of other celebrities would follow. This included household names like Charlie Chaplin and Orson Welles (I also jumped on the opportunity to quote a real FBI report when making the chain for Welles). Keeping them out of HUAC's grasp will allow them to make more films and masterpieces. Or would this only serve to put communist ideas into the mind of Americans? Would you protect them? Or would you prefer to promote 'The Big Truth'? A movie narrated by a young rising (and definitively not red) star, Ronald Reagan.
Enjoy this new update.
William "Thiking_waffle" Bois d'Enghien
I) NEW tutorials are in productions and the official MANUAL is in print! Expect the first rollout in the coming weeks!
II) KIM IL-SUNG: A Communist Ideologue and Supreme Leader will rise to power like the living Sun to establish a People's Republic like never seen before and the first Communist dynasty. Or will his life be cut short and his reign curtailed by US regional power? The rise of North Korea is in BETA testing.
III) Cooperation to be announced with a famous modding team!
- AI will now simulate ahead and behave much more strategically
- AI will now be a lot more vigilant in creating plans
- Policies are better planned and used
- AI can now handle Counter Intelligence
- Optimized the AI and upgraded performance
- Fixed an issue where the AI would sometimes incorrectly fire the same policy multiple times
- NEW Command Reserves now has a permanent Logistics button for you to utilize for planning
- NEW Added new Intelligence Mission: COUNTER-INTELLIENGECE: Chance to uncover enemy operatives within ANY friendly LAND, AIR or NON-SUBMARINE FLEET in region.
- Fixed an issue that was palcing the capitals in an incorrect starting region
- Fixed an issue where combat preview would be shown incorrectly
- Updated Notifications for all unit Abilities
- Optimized the game for both single and multiplayer reducing load times
- Fixed an issue where a relevant focus region highlighting would incorrectly persist to the next timeline
- Freshly deployed units will display a text marker to show that they are at risk of attack
- Update Region UI issues fixed
- Fixed an issue where World Overview could cause the wrong faction coloring for deploying Influence
- Fixed an issue where logistics would sometimes get stuck with its button selected
- Fixed an error given sometimes when trying to return a unit to Command Reserve during influence placement
- NEW! Updated the Policy handling system to be even more flexible adding the ability to switch between rows
- Updated several policy sounds
- NEW Added Red Scare decisions for USA
- Wargames adapted to the new game system
- Added ability to hide Logistics button
- Fixed a null exception given in certain scripted scenarios
- Fixed an issue where Infiltration description tooltip was not being displayed properly
- MIRVIN highlighting now takes into account object pivot
- NEW Intelligence missions no longer require 1 ELITES to conduct, instead they will only deduct ELITES if the mission fails
- NEW Opponent influence modifier now applies to all missions
- Flase Flag mission will no longer end your turn
- Infiltration mission no longer provides MILITARY when successful in a region without enemy units
- Rebalanced many base intel missions
- Intel mission selection shows potential cost in the notification instead
- Intel base chance of success is now relative to non Aligned regions and 0 influence
- IntelAssassinatieMinimumChance variable has been removed
- Fixed an issue where flags where not displayed as inteded in the flag editor
- Added more effects including NEW Intelligence triggers
- Value 0 effects will now be set and shown instead of nu value lines for easy overview
- More efficient usage of mathXparser library by not invalidating an expression at every argument change - most notable with policies with lots of arguments such as American Culturalization
- Added several new game variables
- Updated Notitication and description text for Army, Fighter and Bomber Command as well as Submarine Fleet
- Clarified wording for Launch Authorization Menu
- When a path is lacking between logistics capital and a selected region, using inform, it will now notify you that a logistical path needs to be established
- Added a missing icon for first strike backlash tooltip
- Fixed an issue where Command Reserve text would incorrectly overflow at Disarmament
- Updated the naming regime for Infiltrate and Assassinate
- Fixed several typos