We're stoked to introduce to you some new tools to build some new experiences in Rec Room, ranging from building the next big Stunt Runner course, to building the perfect outfit, to even building an elaborate dance routine on your phone. We're excited to see the new things you'll create with these tools!
StuntRunner Creator Tools!
Now that Stunt Runner is live, we've finished up all of the Creator Tools we developed to make it possible, and we're releasing them all for you to use!
If you want to make your own Stunt Runner map, we've made that super easy! Just go to the ^StuntTemplate room from the Stunt Runner lobby to get started and learn everything you need to know about building for Stunt Runner. We plan to feature community Stunt Runner maps from the Stunt Runner lobby in the future, so now is a good time to start building crazy Stunt Runner courses. More details to come later!
If you'd rather use these new tools and mechanics to build your own brand new games and rooms, be sure to check out all these new Creation Tools!
Keep an eye on the Rec Room YouTube channel for in-depth tutorials!
- Found in Maker Pen: Gadgets -> Gizmos
- You can collide with animated objects!
- Found in Maker Pen: Gadgets -> Other Chips (Set Leaderboard / Get Leaderboard)
- Leaderboard projector is found under Props -> Dynamic
Stunt Runner Template Room
- Check out Meriesa's ^StuntTemplate for a demo of the UGC current feature set!
- Found in Maker Pen: Gadgets -> Other Gadgets
- This is just a volume to bounce players, no art
- Found in Maker Pen: Gadgets -> Other Gadgets
- Similar to bounce pads, but players don't collide with them
Stunt Runner Circuit Board
- Found in Maker Pen: Gadgets -> Game Chips
- Enables the Stunt Runner game loop (countdown, timer, announcer voice-over)
- Found in Props -> Dynamic
- Red circuit output is player ID, Green circuit output is time since game start
KO Cola Boost
- Use these to go fast anywhere, not just in Stunt Runner!
- Found in Props - > Dynamic
- You can now find #RRO inventions in the inventions store!
- Use these if you want to drag+drop versions that are pre-configured to work like the ones in Stunt Runner
- Stunt Runner Start Gate
- Stunt Runner End Area
- Stunt Runner Checkpoint
- Stunt Runner Commentator
- Stunt Runner Bounce Pad
Roles in Chips!
- Roles can now be tied to inventions so that games are portable via Inventions
- To add a role to your room, you now need to add a Role Chip, found in the Palette under Game Chips
- These chips have a minimal ink cost
- These are general location-based checkpoints useful outside Stunt Runner
- Found in Maker Pen: Gadgets -> Other Gadgets
- Used with Respawn Points (also in Gadgets -> Other Gadgets)
- Respawn Points now have a clear indication for player spawning orientation! Inputs have also been rotated to the "back"
- To pair a respawn point with a checkpoint simply move a respawn point near the checkpoint and a line will be drawn indicating it is paired. The nearest respawn point will be paired.
- Players will spawn to their most recent checkpoint (on the checkpoint itself if no respawn point is paired)
- Player checkpoints get cleared at the start and end of a game
Stunt Runner SFX added to the SFX Chip
17 New Radio Tracks (40 Total)
One bonus UGC Tool
- Two borderless art canvases - One the ratio of the whiteboard and one that is square
We also made a handful of Stunt Runner art improvements and bug fixes!
- Fixed the Stunt Runner logo on outfits
- Added VFX to KO cola pick ups
- Re-lit Starting gates/Ending photo area
- Commentators cameras and Stunt Runner photo logo fixed for lower quality settings
- Course Adjustments
- Course 1 - Fixed a spot where you could fall through the level.
- Course 3 - Reworked the beginning of the course to reduce dependence on randomness. When approaching the moving platforms one is now timed to always be present at arrival to the area.
- Course 4 - Fixed a spot where you could fall through the level, visual bugs, lowered some beams on the back of a wall run mat near the end of the course.
- Course 5 - made the spinning hazard section less random, added collision to the environment walls so you don't leave the level.
- Course 6 - Fixed a broken checkpoint near the top of the tower.
Lastly, we added an S+ tier unlock for Stunt Runner! Get a new time of 4:45 or better to get an extra special item!
The Rec TV staff would also like to request that any misplaced equipment or materials be returned to our studio. Thank you!
You can now buy new clothing items directly from the mirror!
- All clothing from the Watch Store is now available inside the clothing menu on the mirror.
- New filters in the mirror menu: You can now filter clothing items by owned/purchasable and by rarity
- You can now try on multiple clothing items at once!
- You'll now get a warning popup when leaving your dorm if you're currently trying on any items (i.e. you're wearing items you don't own)
- Set favorite item skins from the Backpack page in your Watch (while in any room!) instead of from the drawers in your dorm
- Potion and Film items are now found under the "Other" tab on the Backpack page
We also made some other improvements with clothing and mirror menus!
- Fixed bug where sometimes you would see duplicated clothing items in the mirror menu
- Fixed bug where clicking on a clothing item wouldn't equip it when playing on Screens
- Trying on an item fully replaces any non-trial item of the same type, so when the trial item is removed, it's no longer replaced with the previous non-trial item
- When removing a shirt item, players are always assigned the white t-shirt, instead of being assigned a random shirt
New iOS Social Features!
We've added a bunch of features to make you much more expressive when playing on iOS (all these features are coming very soon(tm) to PS4 and PC screen mode). While doing this, we cleaned up the controls a bunch.
First, we have the new Wave control - touch and drag on the Wave control to make your avatar wave their hand around! Say hi!
You can tap on the Wave control to point instead - now touching and dragging will waggle your pointing finger! When pointing at something, tap the Action button to "laser point" it. For example, point at another player and tap the Action button to quickly pull up their profile (this is the same interaction as in VR).
Second, we have the new Pose control. Tap the Pose control to enter Pose mode. In this mode, you see your character in 3rd person view, and the Wave control affects your entire body. You can dance, pose for photos, etc. It's really fun =]
While in Pose mode, touch and hold the Pose control to select from five different pose sets. Try them all and see what you like best!
While in Pose mode, we activate the front facing TrueDepth camera (on supported devices) and track your head motion in real time. On devices without a TrueDepth camera, head motion is driven by moving/tilting your iOS device. You can toggle these features on or off in Watch > Settings > Gameplay ("AR controls" and "motion controls").
Tap the Pose control again to go back to normal mode (1st person).
In Normal mode, touch and hold the Pose control to initiate a social gesture - fist bump (party up!), high five, or shake hands (add friend).
iOS players can now react immediately to fist bumps, high fives, and hand shakes from all players (including VR players). In VR, just hold up your hand for a high five and we'll detect it.
Third, there are now buttons in the menu bar to trigger the Expresso facial expressions. Tap the button to make your avatar laugh, cry, etc.!
Fourth, we upgraded selfie mode to also use TrueDepth (if available) or motion controls to control your head. You can also tap and hold the Focus button for more control over your framing.
Fifth, we re-vamped how you handle objects on iOS. When you're holding an object in your left or right hand, you'll see the corresponding Object control appear.
Tap on the Object control to lightly toss the object in front of you.
Swipe down on the Object control to drop the object directly downwards.
Swipe up on the Object control to inspect the object.
While inspecting an object, you can drag to rotate, and pinch to move the object closer or further away.
Sixth, we put a convenient "favorite item" shortcut on the menu bar. By default, your Camera is favorited, so tap the favorite item button to access it. Go to Watch > Backpack and favorite your Maker Pen if you'd prefer quick access to that instead.
Plus lots more polish/tuning of controls on iOS as we gear up for full launch!
We also added more new quality of life updates and bug fixes!
- Room Chat works properly this time, we swear =]
- Fixed a Paintball bug where players could carry the flag while respawning
- Prevented grenades from friendly firing in The Rise of Jumbotron
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to get weapons from the lobby into Quests
- Added the "winner" plaque to the previous maker pen contest skins
- Fixed the name placement on the last chest for Isle of Lost Skulls
- Added a warning for players when they merge unequally permissioned objects
- Shapes selected with the Maker Pen are now correctly accounted for in ink cost
- Fixed the logo on the stunt runner spandex avatar item not displaying on remote players
- Laser weapons should now change glow color according to rarity on lower LODs
Please see here for convenient links to controls, tutorials, comfort options, etc.: https://recroom.com/community
Thanks for playing Rec Room! As always, don't hesitate to give us your feedback =]