New radar implementation!
On real military jets, the radar is typically a forward looking thing located in the nose cone. Despite this fact, when I first created Sky Knights I wanted to keep things as simple as possible (I still do, to some extent), hence I implemented the radar "sci-fi style" making it simply cover a circular area around the aircraft.
Several players have feedbacked that they would like the radar to be more of a cone (like in real jets). Not only for the sake of realism, but also for the tactical gameplay it would provide, enabling players to stay out of radar coverage and so on. The more I thought of it, the more it made sense. Furthermore, the aircrafts' different radar performance stats would provide an interesting way to make the aircraft even more unique.
In this new implementation, there are two separate zones around the aircraft that can locate enemies. The first one is a small circle around you (just like before, only much smaller) representing the pilots eyes. The other is a cone shaped thing in front of you, representing the radar coverage. This cone looks different on different jets. For instance, the radar performance of an F-15 is much better than on an F-5, and the Su-25 doesn't have a radar at all.
A rough balance pass has been done. But keep the feedback coming if you think anything seems off!
Season challenge skin
For this season only, you have the chance of unlocking the Woodlands skin for the A-10A. This is done by winning 20 matches before the season ends with the end of October. A must-have for all you BRRRRRT gunners out there!
Patreon loyalty reward
I'm amazed and humbled by the support from the Sky Knights patrons. As a little sign of gratitude, I just added a 3 month loyalty reward. Everybody who has been a Patreon subscriber on any tier for at least 3 months (counting from the first transaction) will get an exclusive black "SPECTRE" F-16A skin (as featured in this update's splash image). If you have only been on Patreon for 1 or 2 month (or you're signing up just now), don't worry. The skin will be waiting for you when you reach the 3 month line!
If this stuff is appreaciated, I might add additional loyalty rewards in the future, maybe for 6- 9- and 12 months or something like that. Let me know what you think!
If you want to support the development, and get access to exclusive stuff, like skins, a special Discord channel and other nice things, check out the Sky Knights Patreon page!
- Optimized parts of the network code.
- Reworked the ground and water visuals on Woodlands and Cold Snap.
- Added a terrain detail slider in options.
- New radar and vision system where you have a smaller circle around your aircraft representing vision, and a cone in front of you representing the radar. The range and width are different for each aircraft.
- Added new upgrade "Advanced Radar" which increases both radar range and width.
- The Recon Specificalist trait now provides both radar and vision bonuses.
- The High Visibility Canopy upgrade now provides both higher vision and FOV.
- Added the new radar and visibility stats to the stats panel in the Hangar and when holding TAB in a game.
- Added a system for Patreons to modify aircraft stats when playing in offline mode.
- Added a monthly challenge to unlock the A-10A Woodlands skin.
- Added a unique Spectre F-16 skin for 3 month+ Patreon subscribers.