We just uploaded a new patch correcting many of the issues reported by players. Keep in mind that you might need to restart Steam for the client to search for updates.
Remember to leave a positive rating on Steam if you're enjoying the game. That'd help A LOT a small studio like ours.
All the changes are listed below, but you can check the status of all the reports on our public trello board. We use it to track every bug report.
Don't forget we also have a Discord server in case you want to join us there as well.
New feature: Map markers
While we don't plan to add more content to A Place for the Unwilling, we collect every piece of feedback and add it to our trello board in case we can implement new things requested by players (which is very tricky given our limited resources).
After today's update, you can toggle markers on the map screen. You'll still need to use your wits to find your way around the city, but things like finding public buildings or telling where each quarter ends should be easier now.
You can activate these markers pressing "A" on your keyboard (or "X" if you are using a Xbox gamepad) from the map screen. We've updated the interface to show this new function.
Gamescom and update schedule:
There won't be any new patches in the next 7-8 days or so. We also might not be able to answer every message next week. The reason for this being that some of us will be at Gamescom showing the game around and a few of us will be taking days off in order to rest from all the work we've been doing lately and stay healthy.
If you're attending Gamescom be sure to drop by the Indie Arena Booth (Hall 10.2) and say hi. A Place for the Unwilling is part of the showcase and we'll be around.
- Moved a group of static shadows that could trap the player in the poor quarter.
- Lucas' event that involves translating a text no longer adds a journal entry that says you've failed before starting the task.
- The instructions for finding August on day 13 have been corrected.
- Newspapers now show a visual hint reminding players they can use arrow keys (or the joystick) to turn the pages.
- The trading interface has a new visual hint to remind players it's possible to scroll down the page.
- Fixed a bug that kept triggering the "Item added to your iventory" notification with a certain book.
- Tweaked a few lines of "Making a mess" that could give a wrong impression.
- The journal entry from day 14 now shows the time at which the play will start.
- Players will now get more precise instructions for finding Emily on day 14.
- There's a thing in the inner library that can look like a bug even though it's working as intended. A small hint has been added to let players know things "might be odd in there".
- Corrected the journal entries from the second week that mentioned "a second corpse".
- More pronoun corrections (English and Spanish).
- Henry's Will no longer mentions Arthur.
- Corrected several typos (English version).
- Corrected some documents (images) that had typos (English version).
We hope you are enjoying the game and that these patches are making the experience smoother for everyone.