In today's post, we got some exciting news to share with you. We are talking about the announcement of our next game, sharing the joy of winning our first award and more!
Dreamhack and Animecon Recap
As you might have read in our previous post we have been at two events in Europe. Dreamhack and Animecon. We would like to thank everyone for their compliments, feedback and the enjoyment that has been shown.
The announcement of Rogue Reaper: Awakening
At Dreamhack we have announced that we are continuing with the development of the Rogue Reaper franchise. During the development of Rogue Reaper: Awakening we want to have the community involved (that means you!).
We have created an official Rogue Reaper Discord server where we can chat with you. In the future, we would like to use this Discord server to receive feedback during the development stages and hear your thoughts.
You can join our Discord Server here: https://discordapp.com/invite/roguereaper.
While this is still a work-in-progress we invite you to join us on our next adventure.
Winning the 'Best Action Adventure Indie Playground'.
During Dreamhack we have received the award for the Best Action Adventure at the Indie Playground! Without you we might have never been where we are right now, so thank you for that.
The winners of the giveaway
During Dreamhack and Animecon we hosted two giveaways for the community.
The following people have won signed artwork:
And congratulations to Sara with your Instagram post for winning the signed artbook.
All winners will be contacted by mail in the next week.
Below we will highlight some of the changes and provide you with the full patch notes.
A new health bar
The feedback that we have received over the last couple of weeks is that the way we are showing your current health can be quite difficult to interpret. While we made the decision to show as little UI as possible we agree that we might have gone a bit too far.
And for that reason, we have decided to show your health in a different way.
In this patch, we have added a health bar that is easier to understand, and still quite minimalistic.
The removal of Reaper Vision
In this patch, we are removing Reaper Vision. We believe that Reaper Vision is not working the way we intended it to do. We are also aware that Reaper Vision is causing many problems.
- Reaper Vision causes big FPS drops on some computers
- Sometimes you can get stuck in Reaper Vision, so you have to play the rest of the game with a gray filter
- We might have given players the idea that Reaper Vision is mandatory to use telekinesis
While it's hard making decisions like these, we believe that giving a good and natural experience to everyone is an essential part of our philosophy.
Changing the hit indicator of the boss
One of the mechanics of the boss fight is that the player has to find out how to damage the boss. However, we do feel that it can be a little too difficult depending on where you are standing. Therefore we have changed the weak spot indicator so it is more clearly.
We also changed the 'instant kill smoke' around the boss so it damages over time. This makes it less frustrating and more understandable what you died from.
- We fixed some bugs with the audio. Mainly that it wasn’t on the same level in some places.
- Changed the way UI is rendered, which should increase FPS in-game.
- We removed the reaper vision feature from the game.
- We added a new health/resource bar, which replaces the resource circle in the middle of your screen.
- With that, we added a new reticule which you can aim with.
- We added an error message on game launch when your GPU does not support Shader Level 5.
- The intro video should not stutter anymore on some setups. Let us know if you still experience this issue!
- The resource fountains now stop glowing after you have used them, to make it clear that they can no longer be used.
- Added a red haze indicator to show when the player is low on health/resource.
- With the removal of the reaper vision feature and the new health bar, we changed some of the tutorial text.
- Fixed a bug where enemies sometimes could not walk on stairs.
- Introduced some new enemies in the level so it feels less empty after the gargoyle fight.
- Added more crates and barrels to supplement the new enemies.
- Added a gate to the gargoyle fight; they must first be killed before you can continue.
- Fixed a bug where throwing an enemy on an enemy didn’t deal any damage.
- Slightly tweaked the damage dealt by the rats that are spawned during the gargoyle fight.
- Decreased the gargoyle projectile damage so the fight is fairer to the player.
- Added new blood particles that should be more clear
- We added a new particle effect to the boss, which will let you know you have dealt damage to it.
- Changed the effect that indicates when and where you can melee the boss.
- We fixed a bug where sometimes, the smoke would deal damage even outside of the indicator shown before spawning.
- We changed the damage of the smoke around the boss from an insta-kill, to a stronger than normal damage over time. Watch your toes!
- Fixed some bugs in the ability view and optimized the layout so it’s more clear how to unlock abilities.
Why bug reports are important to us
We want to give you some clarification about how we handle bug reports, and why they are important to us.
Since we are a small indie studio, we love to work closely together with our community. We are watching many online videos of playthroughs, checking the discussions page on Steam and talking to you on social media.
Having our players report bugs makes it much easier to investigate this issue. Sometimes we ask for computer specifications after you have reported a bug. Having computer specs makes the process of investigating the bug easier for us.
We take all bug reports seriously. No matter how big or small they are.
We hope we have given some clarifications about how we handle bug reports.
Thank you for the continuous support of Rogue Reaper,
The Fireroot Studios Team