The SteamVR beta has been updated with the following changes.
If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the SteamVR Bug Report forum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue.
- Change how games launched from SteamVR Home are started to try to avoid a hang that some users (particularly Windows MR?) have seen. Note that users seeing this problem have all reported that they can successfully launch games from the dashboard or from the desktop, and those methods should continue to work.
- Changes to try to avoid error 308 on startup. Split out some types of failures into a new error 309 to attempt to understand what is going wrong.
- Enabled automatic firmware recovery for Valve Index and Vive Pro devices that have had certain firmware updates interrupted or failed.
- Fixed a rare spontaneous shutdown of vrserver caused by very briefly connected pipes.
Renamed the devices menu option and the dashboard settings option for editing bindings to “Controller Settings”. Added some new options on the left side of the app select screen and simplified the old contents of that screen.
Added options to controller settings to set global rotation values for thumbsticks.
Added an option to controller settings to set a global deadzone value for thumbsticks.
Added screen to test any controller supported by SteamVR. This will show the raw input values from the driver, including touch, click, force, capsense, thumbstick position, and trackpad position. This is available on the controller setting screen.
Added debug screen to show exactly the contents of the VRControllerState_t struct that are being provided to legacy applications. This can be helpful when debugging bindings for legacy applications. When input developer options are enabled in settings, this new UI is available as on the left side of the controller settings screen.
Added some additional consistency rules for legacy bindings. The following things will happen for all legacy input applications regardless of the actual bindings specified in the UI:
If an input is clicked the “touched” bit will be set for that input. This is true for buttons, trackpads, triggers, and thumbsticks.
If a trigger with a physical button is clicked, that trigger’s value will be set to 1.0.
If a trigger has a value of 0.2 or higher, the “touched” bit will be set for that trigger.
If a trackpad is touched, that trackpad’s position will not be 0.0, 0.0.
If a trackpad or thumbstick has a value of something other than 0.0, 0.0 the “touched” bit will be set for that input.
Silenced annoying log spam in vrclient_<appname>.txt and vrserver.txt about continuously reloading bindings.
Fixed binding files not being editable in applications with ampersands in their names. (And possibly other applications with legal-but-special characters in their names.)
Enabled Button modes in the binding UI taking their “click” input from the positions of thumbsticks and trackpads. Setting this option also enables you to set the threshold for when a stick deflection is considered clicked.
Added a setting in joystick modes that allows thumbsticks to consider themselves clicked if they are deflected more than a threshold amount. This lets a user click in the center, move a thumbstick to the edge and release the physical click, but still keep the thumbstick clicked as far as the game is concerned.
Added the ability to use complex button modes (double click, long press, etc.) from thumbstick or trackpad positions. This also enables those modes from pure analog triggers like those on Touch and Windows Mixed Reality controllers.
- Changes to device discovery to reduce the impact of misbehaving USB drivers and devices.
- Fixed Index HMD always notifying a firmware update is available.
- Fixed being unable to re-start SteamVR after vrserver is killed/crashes ( aka LfMutexUnlockRobust crashes).
- Fixed vrwebhelper crashing the Steam client.
- Fixed 'psychedelic' colours in the Steam client caused by exiting SteamVR.
- Fixed 'Restart SteamVR' prompts exiting SteamVR but not restarting it.
- Various vrcompositor crash fixes.
- Fixed 'ioctl(GFEATURE): Broken Pipe' spam in stdout
- Updated the default input bindings for legacy applications that have not set specific bindings. When the thumbstick is fully deflected it is automatically considered clicked, for better compatibility with applications built for trackpads. Existing bindings can be modified to have the same behavior.
Index Controller Firmware (1562191192):
- Fixed an issue that could prevent pairing to a new wireless receiver until a power cycle.